Unwind at Sonoma State’s Health and Wellbeing Fair

exc-614a630f27e4fc5da62c9498
exc-614a630f27e4fc5da62c9498

wheel.jpeg

Sonoma State’s Health and Wellbeing Fair could not have come at a better time for Seawolves that are looking for resources to help with the transition back to college life. The Seawolf Health and Wellbeing Fair is scheduled to take place on Sept. 22 from 11:30 a.m to 1 p.m in the Seawolf Plaza. 

Director of Student involvement, Mo Philips partnered with Reed Mathieson, the outdoor recreation coordinator to put on this event. They have worked tirelessly to reach out to a variety of on and off-campus resources in order to offer Seawolves a worthwhile experience. Mathieson said, “We want students to walk away feeling connected to a resource they really needed in order to feel successful and happy. Going to school is a very stressful endeavor and going to school during a pandemic is extra stressful.”

The programs that will be tabling for this event include the Basic Needs Initiative and the Care Team, who’s primary objective is to help students find resources and support for a variety of issues, including food and housing insecurities. The more prominent departments such as The Hub, Culinary Services, the Health Center and Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) will also be present to share more information about their programs. 

CAPS will be promoting their new self-help tool called You@sonoma. “You@Sonoma is an app that provides confidential self-help resources and virtual coaching in three realms to help students ‘Thrive, Succeed, and Matter’,” said Laura Williams, CAPS director and licensed psychologist. 

Although the Seawolf Health and Wellbeing Fair will mostly be a tabling event, there will also be a variety of activities for students to participate in that allows time for fun in one’s busy schedule. Aside from some tables having their own versions of games and freebies, there will also be a raffle where students have the opportunity to win an air fryer, Fitbit and more. Additionally, students will get the chance to visit with an alpaca and other barnyard animals in a small petting zoo. 

Student Involvement has been putting fairs and events together for nearly 5 years with, of course, an involuntary break in between due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Philips and Mathieson decided to work together to share different views on health and wellbeing and to also lighten the load of planning an event of this nature. Philips and Mathieson’s goal is to enhance visibility of departments that may be overlooked and to help cultivate healthy seawolves. 

Mathieson said, “The main objective [of The Seawolf Health and Wellbeing Fair] is to show students all of the resources that are available to them, to get students connected and to let them know what’s out there in the community because there are a lot of resources that they just might not be aware of.”

There are often misconceptions made about the resources available on campus and confusion on what they exactly offer. For example, Mathieson noted that a misconception about the Recreation Center is that it’s sole purpose is to help someone with their physical health, when utilizing the facility can help improve one’s mental health as well. 

Philips also shared her thoughts on the visibility and access of on-campus resources: “These resources are a gift, but really a gift is not a gift until you open it up and experience it…if you don’t use the gift, you’ll never know what an important role it can have in your life and your time here as a Seawolf.” 

Make sure to stop by the Seawolf Plaza for a chance to win cool prizes, play games, de-stress and find resources. 

For more information about the Seawolf Health and Wellbeing Fair and events like it, contact [email protected] or head to http://www.seawolfliving.com.