Seawolves thrash Chico State in weekend volleyball match

exc-61539de9b964e87d00b71ab7
exc-61539de9b964e87d00b71ab7

vb.png

On September 24th, Sonoma State’s Volleyball team came out hunting for a win against Chico State at which they not only dominated but, came out winning all 3 sets back to back at home inside the Seawolves’ den, claiming themselves victorious.

Set one of the matches proved to show what was to come in the upcoming sets for the Seawolves. The Sonoma State Seawolves lead the first half, all the way towards the end as a rally between the two teams concluded with the Seawolves ending the set 25-21.

As both teams entered the second set, the Seawolves began to show dominance moving forward, making it to five, fifteen, and twenty points before Chico’s Wildcats as they trailed behind. With the Wildcats not being able to keep up, Sonoma State claims the set 25-21.

The final set started off neck to neck between the two schools, as Chico’s Wildcats trailed behind SSU by one or two points until both teams tied at 9-9. Seawolves managed to make it to 10 points first, plus creating distance by scoring six consecutive times making the score 15-9 Seawolves leading. This led the Wildcats using their timeout. The short break helped Chico to recover a few points, but the Seawolves widened the gap by rallying the score 21-14. Then the Wildcats proceeded to make a comeback leading the score to being as close as 23-20 SSU. The game came to a close fully when SSU scored the match point ending the result between both teams 25-21.

This momentum for the Seawolves’ proved to be too much for Chico State’s Volleyball team at the end of the match states Head Coach Grassl, as well as commenting, “We played hard the whole match, we did a good job when we didn’t play perfect first contacts to stay in rallies until we had a good opportunity, we blocked great and served great I mean I can’t complain, this was a good night for us.”

Grassl mentions how this match was an important one and also the best match for one of his players all season, Amy Trephan, as she sat out eleven hundred days due to her two shoulder injuries and recovering from surgeries on her shoulders. Grassl stated how “She [Amy Trephan] waited a long time for this and that was the best/most offense she had in any match, she blocked amazing” as Trephan averaged eleven points scored and nine kills in the game. 

Stats don’t lie, no matter who you ask, it is clear that Sonoma State was the more dominant team over Chico State. As the Seawolves stats were over the Chico Wildcats in all categories of the game, ranging from points, service aces, kills, digs, blocks, and assists respectively.

Jaden Krist, an outside hitter for the Seawolves’ volleyball team gives her thoughts on how she thought the team performance in that nights, September 24th, match against Chico States Wildcats by stating she was, “Very satisfied they played really clean, there wasn’t a lot of errors, we went for every ball and that’s what we could really ask for.

Krist continued, explaining how it felt good, “…to come out with a win and it was a close game the last time we played them so getting the sweep this time felt really good.”

This match gives Sonoma State students something to be excited for. Not only will they be expecting dominating performances like this, but they can also take in what the Seawolves are capable of achieving. Their next home game is Thursday, Sept. 30th where we can watch them hopefully dominate Cal State Monterey Bay.