Sonoma to face Dominican in annual 100-inning fundraiser game

exc-61539d583251131080214b03
exc-61539d583251131080214b03

s.jpeg

Sonoma State Softball plans to return to the diamond for a 100-inning fundraising exhibition game against North Bay rival Dominican University on Oct. 1 at Sonoma State. The game will start at 10 a.m. and go far beyond the usual two hour time slot.  The two teams will also be competing to see who can raise the most money for their respective programs, according to SSU Athletics. 

The game won’t be a regulation seven inning game, but one continuous game that will last 100 innings.  When asked about player health concerns, Head Coach Jennifer Bridges-Mannwieler had this to say: “This is the unique part of the game, it is played with a pitching machine for both sides, so we don’t actually use our pitchers on the mound.  As you can imagine, no matter how big your pitching staff, 100 true innings is about 14 full softball games.  So we use the machine and the batters get one swing.  We play 12 outs at a time on defense/offense before we switch. These rules clearly speed up the pace of the game and make it possible to get the innings played in one day.”

Playing 100 innings with this format will allow the players to get lots of reps, while competing, but without the stress of an official game. “When you play 100 innings, 7 innings a game seems like no big deal,” said Senior Catcher Jordyn Martinez, “The 100-inning game has previously stayed fast paced and I think that prepares the defense for the next play, and prepares the offense to get the job done early on.” 

This is the 10th annual fundraiser game against Dominican University, who will be traveling from San Rafael to Sonoma State for the game. “We have played Dominican for a number of years now so it’s just become a tradition to kick off our fall season with our nearest local D2.” Said Coach Bridges-Mannwieler.

The funds from the game will be going directly back to the softball program to help with travel expenses as well as equipment. “The money will go directly to the student athletes and our program.  There are a number of items that we use fundraised money for.  Subsidizing our equipment budget to provide the overall best experience for the student athletes.  Ultimately, improvements to our facilities like windscreens, batting cages, bullpens and dugouts are a high priority as well.” Explained Coach Bridges-Mannwieler.  

Previous fundraising events for the Softball program have not been possible due to the COVID-19 pandemic and safety concerns, so this fundraising game is critical for Sonoma softball. “It means so much to us, due to the Pandemic and safety reasons there have been some fundraisers we typically do that we couldn’t over the past year.  So this money being brought in will be beneficial for the athletes,” said Martinez

The 2020 softball season was cut short due to COVID-19, but before the season ended, Sonoma was well on their way to another tournament appearance.  After starting 1-4, they rattled off twelve straight victories including a sweep of Monterey Bay, according to SSU Athletics. 

Since 2020, Sonoma has added two recruiting classes who Coach Bridges-Mannwieler feels optimistic about the upcoming season.  “From day 1, we talk constantly about the type of team we want to be, the level of play we want to produce and continuing our streak of success.  I know, these individuals joined this program to obtain the highest level of success, and hopefully that means another go at conference champs and post-season.”

Martinez echoed the sentiment, with excitement about the two new classes, as well as the upcoming season. “We’ve only gotten stronger with the two classes that have come in since our last run.  I’m super excited to see how this team does, and I expect nothing but great things from this year’s team.”

To donate to the fundraiser, please visit www.sonomaseawolves.com/100innings