Hybrid classes affect mental health

exc-615cb3c206d6a064e5a29e37
exc-615cb3c206d6a064e5a29e37

caps.jpeg

Online classes have been the bane of manu SSU students’ existence ever since the university had to transition to fully remote learning in March 2020. Almost two years later, classes have resumed partially in person, which has students both elated and worried, as conditions are not as they were before COVID-19. The transition was abrupt for many, and as a result, the stress of this new mode of learning is taking a mental toll on SSU’s students and faculty.

This new semester has been filled with mixed feelings and new routines, both of which are causing students to stress more than usual. Caroline Evans, a senior majoring in Wine Studies, describes her thoughts on the return: “I have definitely been more stressed this semester. Having in-person classes has added a lot more pressure to school but it brings back a sense of normalcy.”

Some students have found the social distancing restrictions in in-person classes to be annoying in the sense of being unable to really interact with peers, but overall everyone seems to be happy to just be around each other again. “There’s a limited amount of social interaction because I love being able to interact with my peers and being able to talk to people,”said Jordyn Zenk-Lanier, a student at Sonoma State majoring in Business. 

While the transition remains rough and sudden, students are still grateful to return to some form of normalcy. “It feels more real now. Before I felt like I couldn’t focus and it was just more draining to my day. It felt unmotivating,” said an anonymous student.

Many students found online learning to be a struggle, so the in-person aspects are welcomed with open arms. Some benefits include fewer distractions in class, more social interaction, and an overall healthier learning environment for students.

Mykayla Louie, a student majoring in Women’s Gender Studies, explains, “I don’t focus as much when it’s online and my mind tends to wander and my grades tend to go down so then my mental health is affected.” 

SSU student Edgar Ornelas, a Freshman majoring in computer science, sees the return of hybrid classes as positive regarding his mental health. He mentions that it’s a lot easier to learn in person than it is online as it was hard to pay attention with all the distractions available to him at home.

In the end, the situation has its pros and cons, and most students wouldn’t choose online learning over this strange hybrid learning environment ever again. No matter where one stands on the pros and cons of hybrid learning, Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) is available to any students feeling overwhelmed and stressed. 

If you are in need of any of the services, you can reach out to CAPS any time. CAPS is located in Building 17A behind Salazar Hall.