SSU men’s golf team takes on the Wildcat Classic

exc-6165f1578fd6f42018153895
exc-6165f1578fd6f42018153895

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 2.06.39 PM.png

As one of the only acceptable socially distanced activities during the reign of COVID-19, it has become no surprise that golf has recently blown up as a recreational activity for all to enjoy. Open grass fields, peaceful settings and a laid back etiquette are what encompasses the age old game for us recreational golfers.

However, for the golf team at Sonoma State, strictly acting recreationally is something that is not meant for the course. The team will be traveling to Chico for their second tournament of the year to play in the first Wildcat classic since 2019, where they will compete against 10 other collegiate golf teams for their chance at a tournament win.  

A practice round Sunday should familiarize the five Seawolf golfers, Lucas Happy, Tom Jenkins, Aidan Oliver, Griffin Pace, and Charles Taylor, to take on the 45 other contestants in Butte County on Monday and Tuesday. While the course is fairly straight up with minimal gimmicks, the real difficulty will come as players deal with twenty plus mile an hour winds as they try to direct their ball through these tough conditions. 

In preparation for the tournament, the team has spent countless hours around the greens trying to improve their short games, as well as playing practice rounds three to four times a week. The team also spends a lot of time ensuring that everybody is taking care of their classwork, getting enough sleep and paying attention to their diet/nutrition. It takes a lot of physical strength and strain to the body to play any sport at such a high level. 

However when asked about preparation for the tournament, Coach Val Verhunce made an effort to say that the team, “Focuses on their sleep, diet, nutrition and school work,” more than anything else, and claimed that both individually, and as a team, “We gotta take care of our own business. The person most prepared for success is the most likely to end up having something to show for, so it is just so important to make sure everything is 100% before we even step out there.” 

This overall grit and determination will hopefully send the team to the top, and at the very least will ensure these student athletes are able to maintain themselves outside of their sports. 

The golf team’s preparation and attention to detail should hopefully propel them into the mix during the multi day tournament. After the practice round, players will be asked to participate in 36 holes on Monday, then the top scores from the day will compete in an 18 hole round where everybody competes for a chance at the lowest score and a chance at bringing home the win.

Back in September, the Sonoma State Golf team came up just short and finished second in the fall invitational at Valley of the Moon Golf Club. At the invitational, the collective team shot a 295 (+15) through their first 36 which is quite good shared between five people. In other words, the team is now familiar with more competing golfers and should better know what to expect going into the competition, and understand what it takes to bring in the win. 

For tournament updates, head to the SSU Athletics website and select men’s golf Wildcat Classic live stats.