Intramural sports continue at the Recreation Center

exc-616f26d9a56e7544eefcfe27
exc-616f26d9a56e7544eefcfe27

In an effort to bring a sense of normalcy and community back to campus while also keeping staff and students safe, the Sonoma State Recreation Center is scheduled to hold three tournaments in conjunction to intramural sports this semester, one of which, solo table tennis, has already passed. This leaves the billiards tournament, which is an individual competition, and the team volleyball tournament. These are the last two organized competition events that will be held in the Recreation Center this semester. 

The objective of all intramurals is to ensure a safe space where students can have fun and are given a chance to meet new people all while engaging in physical activity and interacting with friends on campus. Usually, two leagues of competition are presented to those interested, one for the “pros” and for the “joes” of the sport, both bringing in some serious excitement. Under the current circumstances for this semester, only one league will be offered for students at all skill levels of the sport.

The Billiards tournament began on Oct. 10 and concludes on the 28 with a final round on Oct. 29 between 3 and 5 p.m. to declare a winner. 

As for the volleyball tournament, the Recreation Center will hire referees and officiates for the games and students will have the chance to join or recruit their own teams. When it comes to organized team sports, volleyball will be the only intramural in a team sport offered by the school this semester. Each team will be required to have a “team captain” to take care of logistical work like scheduling games, keeping in contact with the hosts of the tournament, and making sure their team is on top of all rules and regulations for the game. The team captain is also responsible for registering their team and being sure that all attendants are able to make it to the games. 

Any staff, faculty, student or registered alumni of SSU is able to participate in these tournaments, however there are restrictions for members of club and official sports teams and rules in place to ensure that all things are fair. For example, if somebody on the school volleyball team wanted to participate in the volleyball tournament, they would be unable to because they are active members of a team on campus. While there are no official ping pong or pool leagues on campus, the two singles tournaments have been open to anybody who wants to play.

Sports are a great way to get out and be active, and intramural tournaments provide a stress-free environment where students are still able to compete and have fun. While the tournaments are meant to be all for fun, the winner of each typically brings home a trophy and bragging rights that travel throughout the campus environment. For more information about rules, or how to sign up, go to the Recreation Center on campus, or visit their website at www.campusrec.sonoma.edu/programs/intramurals.