Athlete Spotlight of the Week: Reagan Hunt

exc-617894b26084256498db7d17
exc-617894b26084256498db7d17

In the spring of 2020, Sonoma State’s softball team had an explosive start to their season, going 17-8 overall with a 12 game winning streak. After such a short-lived season, Sonoma State softball star Reagan Hunt is itching to get back out there and crush the competition. Hunt is a star outfielder on the team and is a third year student from El Dorado Hills, California, 

Hunt, a kinesiology major, has played softball since she was six years old and has loved the drive and competitiveness that her sport brings. She loves competition, and softball was just the perfect fit for her here at Sonoma. She explained the process behind her getting into the softball program at Sonoma, “After emailing lots of coaches and going to multiple camps, SSU softball liked what I could do in the outfield and kept in contact with me. I ended up going to a few camps here at Sonoma and they ended up offering me a scholarship!” The softball training regimine is tough, and the Seawolves are training hard to do even better this upcoming season than they did before COVID-19 stole their thunder. Hunt mentioned that they’re in and out of the weight room, on the field constantly, and have frequent team bonding exercises to strengthen their relationship with each other. 

A lot of the time, the offseason and all these exercises can be both mentally and physically exhausting, and it can be hard to keep up and stay motivated. Hunt explains that she stays motivated by, “…making myself better everyday so I am prepared for when spring season rolls around. During the off-season, my teammates are my biggest motivator, because I see the work they put in and it motivates me to work harder every day.” With softball being a sport of highs and lows, Hunt said, “My friends and family push me to work hard everyday and I always think of them whenever I need motivation during a tough game.” She mentions her family is a big part of her being here and being in softball as a sport. 

Hunt had an outstanding start in her first year. As an outfielder she had a high of five put-outs in a game versus CSU Monterey Bay, a 1% field percentage overall, and 16 catches all in 14 games while she was an outfielder. She’s known more for her outfield positioning than her hitting on the team, but nonetheless, she excels in that area as well. A breakout game against CSU Monterey Bay on March 6 and 7, 2020 cemented her status as an all around player, where she hit a Run Batted In, allowing her teammates to score while she ran the bases. In the same series, she stole a base allowing her teammates to score and put more players up on the bases. Sonoma State dominated that series thanks to the efforts of Reagan and her team winning all four games. 

Off the field, Hunt enjoys playing spike-ball or cards with her teammates or friends, she also enjoys hanging out with her co-workers at the recreation center. which helps her take her mind off of a busy day.

Overall, she believes that her and her teammates have been working hard to achieve great things come Spring semester. The official softball season kicks off in February, so the team will have to stick to training until then. To learn more about SSU softball, visit the SSU Athletics webpage for a calendar of events and more information.