Staff Spotlight of the Week: Susan Pulido

exc-6181cb8ddff1225a7437e99e
exc-6181cb8ddff1225a7437e99e

At Sonoma State University, when students hear the name Susan Pulido, there is always chatter about how widely loved and respected she is by those who cross her path. A woman who holds many titles, Pulido is first and foremost one of the university’s confidential advocates, and she works day in and day out to help students through some of their most trying moments.

Pulido got started in her advocacy career by first working phones at the Center for Hope and Healing in a small town in Massachusetts. When her partner was offered a position in Santa Rosa, she packed up her life and eventually found her way to SSU where she has remained since 2017. According to Pulido, “[She] saw the job posting for the position on campus and thought ‘this is my dream job, college students and advocacy!’” 

Aside from her confidential advocacy position, Pulido has also been the director of the Vagina Monologues in past years, which is a club on campus that puts on a theatrical show about various social justice and feminist issues. She also works with many different departments on campus by coming to meetings and classes to give presentations about sex, consent, Title IX, and many other topics within her areas of expertise.

Her best advice to those who are lost on the path to getting help and recovering from trauma is: “Knowing that there are resources on campus is really important. Knowing that Confidential Advocacy exists and students receive support and help without anyone at the University being informed about their situation/story. Knowing that CAPS exists as a confidential resource as well. The CAPS folks are pretty awesome. Additonally, we have Verity, our local rape crisis and trauma center in Santa Rosa. They’re pretty awesome too!” 

Confidential advocacy can be a heavy, exhausting position, and Pulido remains open about the fact that being the person everyone comes to for help can weigh heavy on her shoulders at times. She explains: “The tough days are what motivate me! Knowing that survivors are showing up and doing the work. Knowing I am doing the best I can. Knowing that the students I advocate for are healing as we work together. It’s all about being there for survivors.” 

Pulido said she, “…[loves] the energy of students. I love when I have to walk around campus and cross paths with all the students and experience their spiritedness. It truly is all about the students for me. They really fill my soul, they keep me young!” 

Being able to visit with students and help them through the abhorrent trauma of sexual violence keeps her going. It keeps her fulfilled with work and helping people is what she does best. 

To those who are hearing of her for the first time through this article, Pulido can be reached at her on campus office in Beaujolais Village Classico 117 or through email ([email protected]). Pulido’s ultimate goal is for students to feel safe and unafraid when visiting her office or emailing her and meeting virtually, as she wants nothing but the best for everyone she meets with.