CAPS offers various support groups

exc-618aeb4e49ac8221d390fd66
exc-618aeb4e49ac8221d390fd66

The Counseling and Psychological Services offered on campus is diverse and far-reaching in scope. Many different services are offered through their website by appointment or drop-in session via zoom. CAPS offers such check-ups as group therapy, individual counseling, relationship therapy and many more offerings.

One of the many counseling services offered on campus is relationship counseling, whether that be for an individual or individuals going through a tough time in their relationship. The on-site counselors utilize a “short-term model…for two or more currently-enrolled SSU students who are having difficulty within their relationship” according to the Counseling Services website. Relationship counseling along with other counseling services on campus are more cost-effective and affordable as they come at no extra charge to the Sonoma State students. 

Ryan Ristine, a third year music major,  wasn’t even fully aware of what CAPS did on campus or what programs they offered. He said, “All I know about CAPS is what’s in the title Counseling and Psychological Services. Otherwise, I don’t know what they do here on campus. I don’t even know where to go for CAPS and I have lived on campus every year since I started Freshman year.” He went on to say, “…to better market to students I feel as if they could try to expand their social media presence or put info in the handouts students receive at the beginning of the year.” 

The full scope of what CAPS does for students is largely hidden behind the very little marketing they get on campus. They might table once a week or use word-of-mouth to establish their presence on campus, but they hardly get air-time on Lobovision or in The Kitchens which is a pretty crucial resource in marketing services on campus. The team is full of talented and well known professionals in their respective fields, anywhere from a licensed psychologist like Laura Williams, PsyD to a psychotherapist like Kathy Ortiz-Cobian. The CAPS team is here to help any student in need whether it be through group drop-in sessions or other small group therapy sessions.

Wren House, a fourth year Art major, said, “I think caps is a good jumping off place for students…They’re a nice resource to get into the idea and functionality of talk or group therapy.” 

CAPS services offer group drop-in sessions throughout each week either through zoom or in-person. For example, one is called Mindful Self-Compassion: Pathways to Self-Acceptance, Inner Strength, and Resilience.They also offer a session to deal with a toxic or painful family life called Not The Perfect Family (Process) Group. The first group meets every Monday at 2 p.m. via Zoom while the second group meets every Wednesday at 11 a.m. in building 17A, the portable location behind Salazar Hall. CAPS also offers more resources virtually if the student is currently away from campus or too far to visit campus for some of the sessions. One of the resources is YOU@SONOMA.

YOU@SONOMA is available through the student login portal on the student page in the portal. It’s a simple sign up and an individual can immediately start doing Self Checks which the program will use to lead to peer-reviewed evidence-based articles, videos, and resources offered by SSU. The algorithm does this through three pillars: Succeed, Thrive, and Matter which are foundational terms to get the help needed to thrive on Sonoma State’s campus.

Overall, The Counseling and Psychological Services offered at Sonoma are vast and helpful resources offered on campus for Sonoma State students. These are useful resources and can be seen as cost-effective as they are offered free on campus and only requires an appointment be made either through their phone number at 707-664-2153 between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and noon or between 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. or emailing them at [email protected].