Volleyball sweeps critical weekend of games

exc-618aec1d91129539b07523c6
exc-618aec1d91129539b07523c6

The Sonoma State volleyball team capped off a long road stretch with two big wins over Cal State Stanislaus and longtime rival Chico State, doing their best to secure the last spot in the CCAA playoffs.  With the two victories, the Seawolves are currently in fifth place in the conference heading into the last week of regular-season games. 

Sonoma entered Friday needing to beat Cal State Stanislaus, the other team vying for the last spot in the CCAA tournament, only separated by a half-game.  They arrived in Turlock ready to play, handily beating the Warriors in four sets 3-1.  Sonoma was led by Senior Outside Hitter Kiana Richardson, who had 15 kills.  In the victory, junior setter Jenn Trephan also had a standout performance with 30 assists and a season-high, five aces.  

“The Stanislaus game was the biggest of the season.  It was the difference between going to the postseason and not,” said head coach Bear Grassl on the importance of the win over Stanislaus.  

Sonoma started the match strong, winning the first set before losing the second by 10 points, 25-15. They adjusted after that, winning the next two to seal that match and the tiebreaker over Stanislaus going into the last week of the season. 

The Seawolves have been on the road for four straight games ending with a match against rival Chico State the day after driving to Turlock and taking care of business against Stanislaus State. 

“I don’t think the travel affects us much.  However, there are some crowds that are extremely hostile and so keeping our composure during difficult moments is paramount.  And we are getting better at that,” said Grassl on the amount of travel his team has done lately. 

It was clear the travel was not much of a factor for the Seawolves as they beat Chico in five sets in a back and forth match, making them 3-0 against the Wildcats this year. The Wildcats and Seawolves traded sets all the way to Chico winning the fourth set to force a fifth, where Sonoma squeaked out the victory.

“Beating our rival in their home gym was very exhilarating because the games on the road are some of the toughest to play since we’re in a gym that we are not used to.  Beating a team that you’ve always been neck and neck with makes the victory so much more rewarding,” said sophomore Defensive Specialist Dylan Copeland on the victory. 

Sonoma’s final three games will be at the Wolves den against first place undefeated San Bernardino, second-place Cal State L.A., and Cal State Dominguez Hills.  The Seawolves need to win only one game of the remaining games to secure a playoff spot. 

Coach Grassl had this to say on what they need to do against the tough slate of teams this week: “This SSU team has been the most aggressive serving team in the conference, which has led to some great defensive showings.  If CCAA teams are allowed to handle the ball cleanly, they will score.  So we must keep pressure on them from the service line.”

With only three games remaining in the regular season, the Seawolves are looking to play as if there’s nothing to lose. “In the short time we have left, some of our team goals are to just play the hardest we can for the remainder of the season and use the time we have left to play like we have nothing to lose.” Said Copeland.  

The Seawolves return to action Tuesday, Nov. 9 at 5 p.m. against Cal State San Bernardino at Sonoma State.  They play Thursday and Saturday also at Sonoma State.