SSU athletics hosts yearly 100 for 100 fundraiser

exc-61afe6563583163756d06f35
exc-61afe6563583163756d06f35

As the collegiate sports seasons wind down for the Winter and athletes begin putting their fullest focus on crushing their finals instead of opponents, the 100 for 100 fundraiser provides some friendly competition between the different teams on campus. The fundraiser is organized yearly by SSU’s athletics department in order to help cover various fees for various teams for years to come. 

The fundraiser encourages a bit of friendly competition by asking each team to gather donations by reaching out to friends, family, or fans of their teams. The first team to raise 100 donations of 100 dollars or more is crowned the winner of the annual 100 for 100 fundraiser. Now, with fewer recognized teams than past years, this year’s fundraiser will prove to be that much more important for student athletes pursuing their dreams of becoming professional athletes and playing throughout the duration of their college careers. 

Last year, the fundraiser raised more than $70,000, which went directly to the school’s athletics department. This money helps pay for everything sports related, and can help certain students on scholarships pay for their tuition, allowing them to remain student athletes at the school. Each sports team sets their goal of raising $10,000 or 100 sets of $100 leaving donors one of two options about where their money will end up. A donor can decide to send their money directly towards student scholarship funds, or they can support the entire athletics department and send money into the “General Program Support” part of the fundraiser. Either way, the money from the fundraiser keeps sporting programs at Sonoma State afloat and able to compete in competitions throughout the year. 

Each team started reaching out to potential donors, and pooling money starting on November 5, and will continue to strive towards their fundraising goals all the way up until the final day of the year. The Seawolf Athletic department has steadily been able to provide athletic access for student athletes for the past 60 years due to the help and support of the local community. Due to unprecedented circumstances caused by COVID-19, “the athletics department needs the support of the Seawolf community now more than ever.” Even though the school was able to run a successful fundraiser during the peak of government issued lockdowns in 2020, most sporting programs still suffered as they went a year without competition or exposure. As things are starting to turn around and college athletes were able to compete in their sports for their first full semester back, it is much more important for the athletics department to function in a successful manner and raise money for a successful future. 

In past years, the teams to hold the best fundraisers have been both the men and womens soccer programs, bringing in over $15,000 between the two teams. As teams with big numbers and a larger student body to represent each club, it is no surprise that they were able to bring in a bulk of the money raised last year. 

This year, with students across all sports competing to bring in the most money, the school has tremendous potential to exceed last year’s $70,000 raised, and give their teams more resources to be able to compete in the Fall, and for the upcoming semesters throughout the future. 

For anybody interested in donating to the athletic department, while the 100 for 100 program asks for $100 donations, you do not have to donate $100. Every cent counts and will be used to help integrate sports into student life on campus. For more information or to leave a donation, visit the Sonoma State Athletics website, then click on the second annual 100 for 100 headline where you will be asked to choose between general sports programs or to donate to student scholarship funds.