Sonoma State Athletics to allow spectators at games starting Feb 11.

COURTESY // sonomaseawolves.com

Graduate Student Jacob Salinero, drives to the hoop in silence on Jan. 29, as spectators are not allowed back until Friday Feb 11.

Due to the recent surge of the Omicron variant of COVID-19, Sonoma State has been forced to close off their home sporting events from fans until Feb 11.  This comes as the result of the recent health order that was issued by Dr. Sundari Mase, the Sonoma County Public Health Officer. This order restricts large gatherings of 50 people indoors and 100 people outdoors in Sonoma County. The order went into effect on Jan. 12 and, if all goes as planned, will end Feb. 11, via sonomaseawolves.com.

The plan for Sonoma State athletics is once the recent health order has run its course, the teams will welcome fans back into their games. Once this happens Sonoma State will go back to their usual protocol for spectators that were in place during Fall 2021. This means proof of vaccination or a negative PCR test from the past 72 hours will be required to enter the game. Masks must be worn at all times during all sporting events as well. 

“My ideal scenario would be full fans in the stands with a renowned Sonoma State campus spirit,” said Annaloro. “Supporting our student-athletes during competition is a great way to build energy on campus, bring people together, and establish campus pride.” 

The health order will cause many of the Sonoma State sports teams to be without fans to kick off the start of the new semester. Men’s and women’s basketball will have five games each at home with no fans, along with two baseball games and one softball game. This is certainly not the way any of these teams planned on starting the semester, surely all players, coaches and fans would love to have Seawolves filling the stands.

“My roommate is on the baseball team,” said junior business major, Dominic Salerno, “I am excited to go watch his games.”

This seems like a step backwards in terms of getting back to normal from COVID, as fans were allowed at games all last semester before the Omicron variant put a hold on things. However, once the new health order ends Sonoma State can start moving in the right direction again. SSU Head Athletic Director Nicole Annaloro still remains optimistic on the situation.

Annaloro also wanted to remind sports fans to come out and support the teams after the new health order ends on Feb.11. All fans should download the Seawolves app for current rosters, schedules, video streamlines, and more. SSU will be implementing a fan reward system to encourage all fans, whether they are a student or not, to come support the SSU athletics program.

Sonoma State will welcome fans back to their sporting events on Feb 12 and encourages all supporters to come out. The first games that will be open to fans will be basketball vs. Dominguez Hills and Baseball vs. the Academy of Art. All home games are also available to be livestreamed. This can be done on the CCAA Network app for $9.95 a month, via sonomaseawolves.com.