Softball tabbed second in CCAA preseason poll, wins 3 of 5 in first tournament.

COURTESY // sonomaseawolves.com

Junior infielder Giana Hays led the Seawolves to a successful weekend at the Concordia Classic where she hit .538 with two triples. The Seawolves won three out of the five games they played.

The Sonoma State Softball team, led by Head Coach Jennifer Bridges, are ready to return to the field after finishing second in the CCAA Preseason Poll in 2022. The Seawolves aim to pick up right where they left off in the 2020 season, where they finished 17-8 overall and 12-4 in conference play which included a 12 game winning streak. 

The team is as strong as ever with returners such as catcher Jordyn Martinez who boasted a .318 BA, along with 5 HR’s and 22 RBI’s in the 2020 season. Other key returners include Giana Hays who led the team with a .339 BA and star pitcher Nichole Sarra who had a 3.43 ERA in 33 innings pitched. On top of this strong core, the Seawolves also welcome 12 new players that will help this team with a run at the national championship.

With the Concordia Kickoff Classic in the rearview mirror, Bridges felt confident going into the weekend.  With teams like the Concordia Eagles and Chico State, the number one team in the CCAA preseason poll, this tournament is far from simple. “It will not be an easy tournament to welcome us back,” says Coach Bridges, “but we are excited, we plan to be very competitive and come home with some wins.”  They did just that, winning three of the five games they played this past weekend. 

Bridges has always had a good gadge on her team, leading the Seawolves to nine NCAA tournament appearances and three CCAA tournament championships over a ten year span. In her career at Sonoma, Bridges has yet to lead the team to an under .500 season and has kept the team at fifth place or above over her career as a Seawolf. With this in mind, Bridges is grateful to be placed second in the CCAA Preseason Poll but looks forward to taking that number one spot by the end of the season. She understands the pressures of high expectations and knows her team will be able to overcome any obstacle. “We are a program of high expectations, so the athletes are experienced at performing with high standards and will push to meet the highest achievable goals,” said Bridges. 

Although 2020 was cut short, the Seawolves seemed poised to make a deep postseason run after a blazing start.  In the 25 games the Seawolves played the team averaged a .283 batting average along with a whopping 26 home runs, ten more than any other team in the conference. On the other side of the ball, the Seawolves pitching staff had a combined 2.70 ERA giving them the fourth best ERA in the conference. The goal for this upcoming season is to keep that same energy and chemistry from two years ago.

The Seawolves kicked off against the Hawaii Pacific University Sharks in Irvine California and kept their winning ways going with a 4-3 win.  The Lady Seawolves went to win three of their five games. The Lady Seawolves return home February 10th to play Holy Names University at 12:00 p.m.