Lobofest continues to engage students with “Pack the Stands”

STAR // Montana Lahey

Fans pack the stands at Softball’s game against San Francisco State this past weekend and recieved free snacks and prizes as a part of Lobofest. 

LoboFest, an annual event aiming to engage students on campus, kicked off on Feb. 1 with the Black History Month opening ceremony. Seawolves continued to show their school spirit in the form of the “Pack the Stands,” an event created to cheer on SSU’s Softball and Baseball teams. 

On Feb. 19, Sonoma State students of varying ages and grade levels came out to support the baseball and softball teams as they took on their opponents in a double header. The men’s baseball team played against Fresno Pacific University at 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. as the women’s softball team played against San Francisco State university at 12 noon and 2 p.m. 

With the weather sitting in the mid 70’s, the sun was out and the stands were packed. Added incentives were included which helped boost attendance and morale for the athletes. The first 75 people who showed up received a free “Pack the Stands” t-shirt and in between games, there was free pizza available for both the athletes and the spectators. Those that brought canned food items to the game had the chance to win more free spirit gear. 

Sophomore Lily Folz, one of the lucky winners of a t-shirt, said, “Honestly it was a good experience. It was a really nice day and it was cool to see a lot of other people show up and support the team too. Overall, it was a really fun environment.” 

Fresno Pacific was one of the toughest competitors the SSU baseball team will have to take on this season. Packing the stands with encouraging students helped the team feel optimistic about how the double header games would pan out. Although the baseball team ended up losing both games, the energy and support that the parents and students brought encouraged the team to play their best and make SSU proud. 

Sonoma State student, Nicolette Bolich, said, “ This game was so much fun to go watch and cheer for, the weather was nice and lots of people came out to support the team. I loved seeing everyone and their friends bring some school pride to the stands.”

The environment the crowd created is one that players have grown very fond of. After not having two seasons in a row due to the COVID-19 pandemic, athletes have been yearning for the energy produced by the fans.

Outfielder, Sean Pauly, shared his opinion on how the crowd impacted the team’s performance: “I think that it almost adds more drive for the team to perform. You look back at the crowd and you see your friends, I even had my dad show up. So I always think it’s a cool experience and it makes you really want to play well,” said Pauly. “Sometimes it can be nerve wracking because it’s added pressure but, a lot of the guys thrive with that pressure. I think the general consensus for our team though, is that we enjoy sharing the experience of playing the game we love with our friends and family.”  

Every home game is free with a Sonoma State Student I.D. across all athletic departments. To find the baseball schedule along with other sports team schedules, go to https://sonomaseawolves.com. 

LOBOFEST will continue in these coming weeks with events like Late Night Art, Casino night, and much more. Head to http://www.seawolfliving.com for more details.