Student Athlete Spotlight: Camille Rodriguez

COURTESY // @ccaad2 via instagram

Senior right handed pitcher Camille Rodriguez won her second straight CCAA pitcher of the week after throwing back to back complete game shutouts.

Student-Athletes are some of the most committed and dedicated people in the world.  They have to train every day for their sport, but they have to also make sure they are keeping up with their studies.  Sonoma State Softball pitcher Camille Rodriguez is no different from any other student-athlete pursuing their dream of playing a sport in college while working hard towards a degree. 

Rodriguez was named back-to-back CCAA pitcher of the week for March 7-13 and March 21-27 after her near-flawless performances against No. 22 ranked Cal State Monterey Bay, and Cal State San Bernardino.  The right-hander pitched 12.2 innings over her two starts, with the latter start being a complete game.  Over the two starts, she only gave up seven hits, two runs and had an ERA of 1.10. 

“After finding out I was named CCAA Pitcher of the Week, I was extremely thankful.  Hearing I received this award made me eager to work harder,” said Rodriguez.  “It made me feel so valued to see that all of the hard work my team and I have been putting in has been recognized by others.  This will only motivate my team and I to work even harder to be the best we can be for the rest of the season.”

Rodriguez is a fourth-year student at Sonoma state and is studying Kinesiology with a concentration in Exercise Science.  After she graduates from Sonoma State, Rodriguez plans to apply to a PA school and become a Dermatology PA. 

Head Coach, Jennifer Bridges, said, “Camille is a true competitor.  I think that’s what really makes her good.  Yes, she’s got good stuff… but seeing her determination and grit on the mound gives her that extra edge over batters.  Her composure is fantastic, which gives her defense a great deal of confidence and helps her perform her best in those shaky situations.” 

In her free time, Rodriguez enjoys spending time with her family and friends because she loves their company.  Rodriguez also loves giving back to her community.  She said, “I love giving back to my community and sharing my knowledge of the game with younger pitchers while teaching from my experiences.  It makes me feel so good being able to be a figure for young girls to look up to in my community.”   

Rodriguez preaches how important it is to have time-management skills as a student-athlete because there is so much going on throughout their week.  Her favorite technique to stay on top of things is writing things down in her planner.  This helps ensure she is on top of deadlines and accomplishes everything she has set out for the day. 

“My teammates are the biggest factor in why I have been so dominant.  Pitching with them behind me is the best because they have my back no matter what, and I have theirs.  They are in my back pocket hyping me up every pitch, and they are the reason for our success with their strong defense and offense,” said Rodriguez.

This is Rodriguez’s last season, and she is making sure to take it all in and enjoy every moment that she is out there with her teammates.  The team is like a second family to her, and she wants to make her senior year memorable with all of them. 

This past weekend, the Seawolves took on Cal State San Bernardino and extended their win streak to eight games with their fourth straight sweep.  Rodriguez was a significant x-factor once again in the victories as she pitched two complete games while extending her scoreless inning streak to 18.  The next home game will be on April 22 as the team starts a long trip of away games starting with the Tournament of Champions in Turlock on Friday. 

For more information on the Sonoma State softball team make sure to head over to, https://sonomaseawolves.com/sports/softball