Student Athlete Spotlight: Kieran Fara

COURTESY // mcla.us

Senior Kieran Fara has been a critical piece for the Sonoma State mens lacrosse team since he arrived on campus. 

On Saturday April 16 the Sonoma State men’s club lacrosse team honored their seniors after their hard fought loss to Nevada Reno. The Seawolves lost in triple overtime to the Wolf pack, 10-11. 

Being a division one team is no easy task, as that’s what the boys team record represents at 3-9 on the year. However, one senior has been through it all. Throughout his freshman year, COVID-19, and now this year, Kieran Fara has been one of the most resilient of them all. Fara, a senior and Geography environment and planning major has been through thick and thin with his team. 

Throughout his career, he has had plenty of supportive figures in his life who have been at his side through the best and worst times. Fara said, “My parents have been extremely supportive throughout my career, from the constant encouragement, to the huge amounts of time and money they’ve spent on me growing up.” Having a supportive foundation to fall back on is essential in a players career and creates confidence. 

Fara still has the same passion for lacrosse that he did when he first started as a child. He started playing in third grade and has loved it ever since. He believes that his competitive personality has allowed him to continue playing at a high level and motivates him to get better everyday. 

A day in the life of Fara is simple, after he wakes up he grabs a bite to eat before heading to his morning classes. After those are done, he grabs another quick snack before going to practice. When practice is over, he starts on his homework before having another meal. He tries to mix in a workout in between homework and practice if he has time. During his down time, he watches television and plays video games. 

Prentice Lohr, a freshman economics major had this to say about his former teammate, “Kieran showed so much dedication to the team it was insane. He was one of the guys that led the team by example. His love and support for the team was unreal. He was always the first one to practice and the last one to leave. Leading the warm ups, and getting on guys for not showing up or not giving full effort. It’s going to look a lot different without having him on the team but, if we show half the dedication he did, we’ll be just fine.” 

Fara’s impact on the lacrosse team was very big and he will be missed. Teammates and coaches will miss him, but Fara looks to graduate this semester with his degree. He has hopes of getting a job in urban planning post-graduation.