Seawolves drop road series to the Toros

STAR // Tanner Ivey

Jared Esparza and Sean Pauly share a handshake before the Seawolves road series.

This past weekend, Sonoma State’s baseball team faced the Dominguez Hills Toros in a four game series, one that was crucial for the Seawolves. The Seawolves would go on to lose the series 3-1, but they are still tied for the sixth and final playoff spot with Cal State East Bay. 

The series started off with junior Nick Roth, who made his eighth start on the mound for SSU this season. Roth has been a staple in the team’s rotation, boasting the team’s second lowest ERA (Earned Run Average) with a 3.40. In the first two innings, Roth struck out two batters before giving up a two-run home run in the third. Big hits from Josh Medina and Torreahno Sweet kept the game close, but the Seawolves would go on to lose 10-4. 

The Seawolves batting average leader, Braeden Holliday, joined the team this weekend in their contest against Cal State Dominguez Hills. Holliday went on to share his opinion on this weekend’s games, stating that “the team fought hard this weekend. Of course we’d like to win the series but we are going into San Bernardino with our heads held high.”

After losing game one of Saturday’s doubleheader 10-7, the Sonoma State baseball team secured a much needed split. With ace pitcher Michael Benz on the mound for game two, the Seawolves were in good hands. Benz would pick up where he left off last week with a six-inning performance, earning him his fifth win of the season. Benz is coming off of a seven-inning complete game shutout against Cal State LA, for which he would pick up where he left off last week, where he won pitcher of the week. He earned the win by surrendering three runs on seven hits without walking a batter. Joshua Medina would come in to close the door and make his ninth appearance of the season. On just eight pitches, Medina retired the Toros in order to secure the Seawolves twentieth win of the season. Cole Brodnansky and Logan Douglas both had two hits, Brodnansky led the way with three RBIs.

On Sunday, the SSU baseball team lost in the series finale to the Toros in another fiercely contested slugfest. The Seawolves battled but were unable to pull out the victory. In the finale, the Seawolves bats got hot and proceeded to impress, out hitting the Toros 14-11. Over the weekend, Otis Statum Jr. had yet another multi-hit game, and senior outfielder Torreahno Sweet had a career day at the plate, finishing 5-5 with two RBIs and one run scored. With multiple hits in six of his previous seven games, Sweet increases his batting average to .300, and he finishes the weekend with a home run, nine hits, and seven RBIs.

Sweet has been lethal in the lineup these past few series, and especially this weekend against the Toros. Sweet went 9-14 with a whopping .643 average on the weekend including a towering homerun. “I just felt confident,” said Sweet. “Ever since Friday’s pregame batting practice my approach has stayed the same, right center gap and focusing on not trying to do too much.” Sweet’s approach paid off, topping off the day of the finale with a 5-5 day. According to Sweet, a big part of his success is his mentality. “Keeping calm is a huge part of my game,” said Sweet, “No matter how big the moment is, being calm, cool, and collected does me nothing but good.”

The final home series begins Thursday, May 5 at 1 p.m. against Cal State San Bernardino with a chance to earn a playoff spot. For more information on the baseball team, make sure to head over to sonomaseawolves.com/sports/baseball