Softball and baseball earn weekly honors

COURTESY // sonomaseawolves.com

Michael Benz earned pitcher of the week after his complete game shutout against CSULA

COURTESY // sonomaseawolves.com

Anna Zoia-Buescher earned CCAA player of the week after an explosive week at the plate.

COURTESY // sonomaseawolves.com

Jesse Dupuis earned CCAA pitcher of the week after her no-hitter and one-hitter against CSUEB.

Multiple Sonoma State athletes’ shined this past week as three different athletes were named player of the week in their respective sport. The first two are softball players Jesse Dupuis and Anna Zoia-Buescher. Dupuis won CCAA(California Collegiate Athletic Association) Pitcher of the week for April 19-24, her second time receiving the award this month. While Zoia-Buescher won CCAA Player of the Week for her offensive firepower. The third athlete that took home some hardware was baseball pitcher Michael Benz as he also took home the CCAA Pitcher of the Week award as well.

“It was awesome to see softball sweep the weekly awards the same week, they’ve been playing great ball and I think we’re all inspired by what they’ve been able to achieve up to this point and will continue to achieve,” said Benz. 

Dupuis’ Pitcher of the Week award came as she had two gems on the mound during the team’s four game series against Cal State East Bay. Dupuis started the second game of the series and threw a one-hitter with three strikeouts and only two walks. She followed up the one-hitter with a no-hitter in the last game of the series as the Seawolves swept and won their twelfth straight game. Dupuis is now 12-2 for the season and is in the top eight for both ERA (Earned Run Average) and wins in the CCAA. 

“My favorite part of the season has been the last couple weeks. This team has shown real grit and completely turned it around from where we started. We are the strongest we have ever been right now and that’s an amazing way to go into the postseason” said Dupius.

Zoia-Buescher success on the offensive side of the ball during the Cal State East Bay series led to her winning her CCAA Player of the Week award. She batted .615 for the week with a triple, double, four stolen bases and five runs scored. Zoia-Buescher has been dominant the whole season as she has the fifth most hits in the league with the sixth best batting average. 

“It may sound cliche to say, but I credit my teammates and coaches. I am new to SSU but this team has welcomed me with open arms since the first day I came here. Over the fall and thus far into the spring, we have and keep building this very competitive environment where we are always competing and pushing ourselves day in and day out to get better individually and as one unit. I wouldn’t be doing what I’m doing right now without them,” said Zoia-Buescher. “They make me want to bring my best self to the table every day. I am truly grateful to be a part of such an amazing group of people.”

Benz received his Pitcher of the Week award after his exceptional performance during the team’s series against Cal State LA. Benz pitched a complete shutout game with seven walkless innings with seven strikeouts and only gave up four hits to pick up his fourth win of the season. This was only Benz’s sixth start of the season as he is typically a reliever for the team but when his number was called he did not disappoint. 

“Being named pitcher of the week is definitely an honor. It’s one of those things where you can be happy but definitely can’t be satisfied,” said Benz. “In baseball and in all sports you have to be able to take the good and bad in stride and know that the most important game or play is the next one, not anything that happened in the past.”