“Kingsman” sequel falls to cliché

exc-59cb1f72b7411c7027582590
exc-59cb1f72b7411c7027582590

British accents, top secret spy agencies, and sharply dressed men would bring up the connotation of a James Bond style film. However, “Kingsman: The Golden Circle” tries to stray away from the stereotypical spy action film. Based on the comic book series written by Mark Miller and Dave Gibbons, both the sequel and its predecessor, “Kingsman: The Secret Service” create a blend of comedy, quirk, and action. Both films still hold true to their action roots with Michael Bay-like explosions, highly intelligent weaponry such as lighters disguised as hand grenades, and feats which seem so extreme that only spies can accomplish. Yet, the plots of the movies follow the common storyline of saving the world from a diabolical individual but, what makes the “Kingsman” films enjoyable is the unique comedic flare.

In “Kingsman: The Secret Service,” the main character, Eggsy, seems misplaced in this world of sophisticated, international espionage. As the film progresses, he proudly shows his strengths to those who doubted him and beats out the great majority for a spot as a Kingsman. After showing his worth, Eggsy truly earns his Kingsman glasses when he aids in defeating technological madman, Valentine, from controlling the minds of individuals worldwide via their cellphones.

The first film’s comedic quirks include the kidnapping of celebrities, such as Iggy Azalea, the name of Eggsy’s dog, JB, who, evidently, holds the same initials as a few classic action heroes, and the colorful, glittery way people blew to pieces in one of the final scenes. The pure fun and nuttiness of the film is what drew viewers to theatres and, after a three year wait, they were hopeful the eccentric comedy would be a hit once again.

Right off the bat, first scene to the squeal packs a cinematic punch. A surprise encounter between Eggsy and Charlie Hesketh, estranged Kingsman tryout and transformed evil henchman, quickly leads to a gripping car chase that knocks the audience out of their seats. The outstanding cinematography of the action sequences in “Kingsman: The Gold Circle,” is something to take note of. Then again the audience should not expect anything else from the director of action-packed movies such as “X-Men: First Class.” Unlike “Kingsman: The Secret Service,” the sequel provides the viewer’s more skilled camera angles, a creative use of slow motion effects, as well as enhanced combat moves that work together to marvel the eye.

Based on this opening scene, it seems as if the sequel met the viewer’s hopes. However, the sequel’s great cinematography could not save it from its rather ordinary, spy-flick plotline. The star-studded cast, consisting of Colin Firth, Channing Tatum, and Halle Berry to name a few, did not find comedy harmony. The jokes throughout the film will catch some laughs but nothing was new; the comedy was expected with scenarios with obvious sexual innuendos, awkward meetings of the girlfriend’s parents, and overstated English versus American banter.
    The saving grace of the film was Julianne Moore’s character Poppy Adams, sociopath queen of the global drug trade. Adams borders the lines of a sociopath with her sweet exterior acting as a façade that she can quickly switch to. This is shown when Adams releases her robot, demon dogs on a henchman who crosses her and makes the newest addition eat his friend in a form of a burger she whipped up herself.

Poppy Adam’s goal is to make herself a well-known, international entrepreneur by making all processes of the drug trade legal. To ensure the success of her plan, she infects the millions who use her drugs with a slow-killing illness and will only release the antidote if the president abides by her requirements. Moore does a wonderful job of portraying just the right amount of crazy to the point where even though Adams kidnapped and held Elton John hostage, the viewer might still find her alluring.

“Kingsman: The Golden Circle” may have fell into the same category most movie sequels do but, that does not diminish its entertainment quality. However, I recommend to wait for its Redbox release instead of paying $11 in standard movie theatres.