SSU volleyball takes over Seawolves/Penguins Classic

COURTESY// Justin Ferarri

Kiana Richardson goes up for a kill against Academy of Art University during the Seawolves/Penguins classic this past weekend.

This past weekend’s Seawolves/Penguins Classic was a very successful one for Sonoma State’s volleyball team as they fought hard to go undefeated. Sonoma’s seniors Kiana Richardson, Jen Trephan and Jessie Hobbs began the start of the season as powerful forces and leaders for their team. Sonoma’s first game was against Holy Names University, and the Seawolves won in a three-set sweep. Trephan led the way with a huge five kills. Junior Brooklyn Jackson has also been setting the tone for the team as she ended Holy Names and was named Player of the Game with nine kills. Kills are an exciting part of the game and very difficult to accomplish, so we asked Jackson what it takes to see those opportunities. 

“When you see hands you swing for their fingers and when you have an opening or if no one is around blocking, you pound it,” said Jackson. 

The start of the 2022 season has gone well for the Seawolves and the team has remained a consistent close knit group as many of the same athletes from last year have returned. Although in years past it has felt like the team was missing a piece that they now found through freshman Kaden Young. The team feels like the new addition has helped mesh the team better than before. The incoming freshman has been playing a big role in the team’s success being the Libero. She has been a noticeable force that’s creating togetherness for the team. Young has been very capable of getting after digs and directing them well to the setter. The team on and off the floor have been impressed with her as well as the other incoming freshmen that have cooperated in their success so far. 

“We love our freshmen. They are awesome and they fit in well. Our Libero is a freshman. She’s awesome. She gets all these crazy balls up and we feed off her energy. Even the freshmen on the bench we feed off their energy and in practice they keep us moving so we love them they’re gonna fit right on in next year,” said Jackson.

The team seems very excited going into the season. Returning senior Richardson has always been a consistent spike force in her career and she is off to a great start thus far doing very well in the Seawolves/Penguins Classic. In 2021, she totaled a 336.5 point season. Trephan is also looking forward to another big year as last season she had 625 assists. Richardson and Trephan both earned a spot on the CCAA All-Conference Second team last season. The two seniors together have carried over their outstanding consistency that has led the team to a great start. 

The Seawolves ended their weekend tying for first place with Cal State East Bay as both teams went 4-0. This brought the team’s overall record to 7-1 for the season. Next up, they will be competing against Cal State San Marcos this week on Thursday. For more information on the team and upcoming games, make sure to head over to,  https://sonomaseawolves.com/sports/womens-volleyball