Two Seawolves earn All-American nominations

COURTESY // @SONOMASEAWOLVES

PRITCHARD EARNED BACK TO BACK ALL-AMERICAN NOMINATIONS TO END HER SEAWOLF SOCCER CAREER.

COURTESY // @SONOMASEAWOLVES

ZANDONELLA-ARASA CONTINUES TO RACK UP ACCOLADES AS SHE FINISHES THE YEAR WITH A FIRST-TEAM ALL-AMERICAN NOMINATION.

The Sonoma State Women’s Soccer team had what most would consider a successful season in 2022, winning their third consecutive CCAA title. At the forefront of the successful season were two players who received All-American status, sophomore Lexi Zandonella-Arasa, and senior Julia Pritchard. 

Why is this status such a big honor? How does one attain it? First, a committee of communications professionals from NCAA Division II schools and conferences makes the determination by selecting players from the regional first team in each region. So Zandonella-Arasa and Pritchard’s names had to go through a multiple-step process. The process concludes with a total of three All-American teams, the First-Team, the Second-Team, and the Third-Team.

Zandonella-Arasa, named to the All-America First-Team, said the honor meant a lot to her. She attributes a lot of the success to her coaches and teammates and the consistent competitive environment that the team creates. The sophomore said she feels a sense of gratification after receiving the honor but intends to keep striving to accomplish more and never wants to settle. 

Something that helped Zandonella-Arasa earn her All-America First team status was her ability to score. She led her league with 14 goals. When asked, she shared what she thought helped her score so many times, “For me, I think that the work I put in before the season started is the reason why I was successful with putting the ball into the back of the net. Things don’t just happen that way overnight; I think it takes a consistent effort and mentality of wanting to get better.” She also credited her teammates, “Along with that, I couldn’t have scored all of those goals without my teammates. Someone was always on the other end of the goal, getting the assist. However, I am never satisfied and hungrier to come back better next season for my team.”

Pritchard, named to the All-American third team in 2022, is no stranger to receiving the honor. She achieved the status in 2021 as well. Zandonella-Arasa noted that it is a significant accomplishment to earn this recognition once and even more impressive to do it in consecutive seasons. She also said, “It is the cherry on top of an incredible career she has had here at Sonoma.”

Pritchard is known for her prowess on defense. Zandonella-Arasa said she has all the traits of a great defender, including the timing of her tackles, aggressiveness, the ability to read a situation, communication with her teammates and the attitude of giving it her best regardless of what the circumstance might be. 

Pritchard played her last season for the Seawolves in 2022. Zandonella-Arasa shared her thoughts on how the team will move forward, “ With Julia leaving, there are some very big shoes to fill, but I have all the faith that the younger players on our team will really step up and fill them, including myself. I admire Julia and the qualities she possesses, not only as a player but as a leader. I have learned a lot from her, and I know the team has as well, so as sad as we are to see her go, she has created a way for the next player, or players, to really step into that path.”