Softball stamps off week with a perfect game

The Seawolves Softball team dominated last week with everything from continuations of old games to ninth inning walk-offs to a perfect game by Nichole Sarra. They outscored their opponents with a cumulative score of 54-8.   

The Seawolves got things going this past Wednesday when the Seawolves and the Holy Names Hawks played a doubleheader to make up games that were suspended earlier in the season. In the first inning of the first game, the Seawolves scored four times to take an early 4-0 lead. Senior Reagan Hunt was up to bat first and kickstarted the game. She sent one just right of the right fielder who dove for the ball but missed.  She said, “The second I saw the right fielder miss the ball I knew I had the possibility of getting a triple.” With the extra time, Hunt managed to round all three bases before being waved in to come home. “I definitely didn’t think I would come out with an inside-the-park home run.”  With a happy Hunt and the team in high spirits after their first win of the doubleheader, the continuation of the second game was underway.

The Seawolves went on to win their next game in a 6-5 battle that needed nine innings.  In the bottom of the ninth with one out, senior Cassidy Romano blasted one over the left field wall to walk-off the game.   

With Wednesday’s games completed the team never looked back and swept San Francisco State, outscoring them 39-0.  One attribute of the Seawolves’ success is the offensive performances of Giana Hays, Anna Zioa-Buescher, Rylee Nishimoto and Jordyn Martinez.  Hays was asked about what helps her be proficient on the offense and she said that, “hitting is something I am always working on and trying to adjust to find what works best for me.” Hays explained that she’s keeping her approach in the box simple and she said that “I’m trying to find the grass wherever I can to help my team score runs.” The team’s offense has been unstoppable this season as they have outscored their opponents 69 to 17.

The Seawolves have made winning so easy in part by the success of their pitching from Bailee Reed and Sarra in particular.  Reed’s pitching has been especially instrumental to the team’s success this season so far.  She currently has a record of 6-0 while pitching 58 innings and allowing only nine runs.  When asked about her mindset on her success so far this season, she said, “I truly trust in my abilities. I go into each game knowing that they’re going to have to do something really special to rattle me.” Sarra on the other hand is 5-1 and added an exclamation to the 8-0 win against the Gators by pitching a perfect game.

Sarra was so lights out on the mound she didn’t even realize she had a perfect game going. “I knew I hadn’t walked anyone but I didn’t realize no one had gotten a hit.” With just two strikeouts, her defense backed her up nicely and she said, “It was a team effort and I’m so proud of everyone, not only for that game but for the whole weekend.”