SSU Lacrosse steamrolls UC Davis Aggies

STAR// Dennae Taylor

Daniel Beglin, Benen Powers and Elias Kaplan celebrate a team goal

STAR// Dennae Taylor

Clayton Powers looks to score against the Aggies.

Sonoma State Men’s Lacrosse season has been nothing short of chaotic. What started with a season-opening win against Stanford quickly flipped into four consecutive losses, leaving the team with a desire to regroup and regain that opening game energy. Luckily for the Seawolves, the tides have turned in their favor as they turned that losing streak on its head.

The week before last, the team was locked in a tight affair against the Santa Clara Broncos; only coming out on top by a single point. That single point was worth a lot more than just the win. That win then spilled over into the Seawolves’ last game against UC Davis which finished 17-5. This triumph was the biggest margin of victory so far in the season. The second half of the game saw the team score eleven points in a row. This was all while conceding none.

Sonoma State’s Men’s Lacrosse hasn’t usually been seen as one of the top contenders in their league. The team had a poor run its season prior, suffering multiple disappointments and only three wins. Flash forward to last week’s domination of the Aggies and things are looking very different. They already have matched last season’s number of wins with half a season still to play. Attacker Daniel Beglin spoke of this newfound optimism that has infected the whole team and spread fear to future opponents. Beglin said, “This season has definitely been a completely different feel from last year. Last year we weren’t a team. There was no chemistry or anything.” He further emphasizes the shift in the mentality by stating, “We’ve really come together. Everyone is building and growing together and it’s showing.”

The once bottom of the table team is announcing its rise in a big way. The respect is being forged because of the way they are capitalizing on their good form and turning it into a fearsome momentum. “Every team we’ve played this year has come into the game expecting to beat us but every game has been a battle. We’ve shown that we’re meant to be with the top teams and this weekend was just a glimpse of what we can do,” said Beglin. The team grows stronger with every victory and it is clear that with little weight of expectations at play, the team can only rise to the challenges from here on out.

Team captain, Michael Trujillo, was brought up by Beglin who described him as, “A big part of why we have been more successful this year”. His leadership has impacted the team’s results. Trujillo spoke of how this leveling up took place saying, “Our team has really started to find its rhythm. All the pieces are falling into place, and I am very excited to see how far we will go this season.” The attention now turns to next weekend’s double header clash against Oregon State and Boise State in Idaho.