Historic season wages on for SSU

COURTESY// @sonomaseawolves on Instagram

Anna Zoia-Buescher won CCAA Player of the Year.

Charlie Johnson won CCAA Freshman of the Year.

Coach Jennifer Bridges won CCAA Coach of the Year.

After an outstanding season by the SSU Softball team, a program record tying seven members of the squad were selected to CCAA All-Conference teams. On March 3, it was announced that the #15 ranked Seawolves would also take home the Player of the Year, Freshman of the Year and Coach of the Year awards.

Those named to the All-CCAA First-team include Jordyn Martinez, Giana Hays, Anna Zoia-Buescher and Nichole Sarra. Representing the All-CCAA Second-team are Cassidy Romano, Rylee Nishimoto and Charlie Johnson.

Zoia-Buescher was named CCAA Most Valuable Player for her incredible performance this season, with a .486 batting average. Zoia-Buescher proved herself to be one of the best college softball players in the country, ranking #7 in batting average in all of Division II.

Zoia-Buescher became the first Seawolf softball player to be named MVP and sits in the top five in the conference in batting average, slugging, on-base percentage, OPS, runs, hits, triples and stolen bases.

In addition to her Second-team selection, Johnson became the first Freshman of the Year winner in program history after putting up an impressive record this season. At one point during the season, Johnson pitched 69 straight innings without giving up a run. This stretch reduced her ERA to just 0.27 and was ranked as the lowest ERA in the country at the time.

Johnson’s current ERA is 0.98, leading the conference and boasting a 9-3 record with only 26 allowed runs, tied for the fewest in the CCAA.

Jennifer Bridges took home CCAA Coach of the Year after leading the Seawolves to a an overall record of 35-13 and a 23-8 conference record. She also led the team to their first regular season title.

Bridges praised the leadership group on the team,  “We have nine seniors and the grit and heart that comes from this group of seniors is contagious. This group has truly all bought into the same goals and they are determined to see them come to fruition.”

Coach Bridges has become one of the most successful coaches in SSU athletics history, posting a .643 winning percentage in her 13 seasons. She claimed her 500 career win including her stint at Whittier College before coming to SSU in 2010. Her 461 wins at Sonoma put her only 18 behind the all-time softball coaching leader, Paul King.

Bridges also noted that sophomore, Carissa Marquez, does not get enough credit for her contributions to the team. “She has been our glue this year.  She tore her labrum last spring and has been redshirting through her rehab this whole year. She truly keeps this team alive and focused on enjoying our time together and she reminds us with her incredible enthusiasm how fun it is to compete and play this sport.”

Looking back on this successful season, Coach Bridges said, “Honestly there have been so many great moments this season, but getting to see the teams excitement when we announced Anna and Charlie’s big awards  was really special.”