The Mitote Food Park serves up culture and brings community together

exc-615cc7b82bcd3a1b0fd52c0f
exc-615cc7b82bcd3a1b0fd52c0f

51549492510_f2bcba3858_o.jpg

Familia, communidad, comida. These are the three most important parts of the Mitote Food Park in Santa Rosa. The food park consists of three different food trucks that exclusively serve Mexican food from different regions in Mexico. The three trucks, Lucha Sabina, Antojitos Victoria, and Maria Machetes, operate from 12 p.m. to 12 a.m. and are located at 665 Sebastopol Road in Roseland. 

According to Sonoma County’s website, the Mitote Food Park is getting revamped, a $750,000 project. “… All of us are going to be located [in the new spot] with bathrooms, and security,” said Fernando, who works at the Antojitos Victoria food truck. 

This project is aimed at uplifting the food park’s goal of being “a place devoted to celebrating heritage and culture through food, music, and arts.” according to Mitote’s website. 

“Over at Mitote park, [there will be] a bar top, so people can come with family, enjoy, have a drink… We are trying to be [open] in December,” said Mishell Bacilio, who works at the Maria Machetes food truck. 

On a 90 degree Thursday afternoon, large white tents with colorful picnic tables underneath are situated next to the three food trucks. Papel picados, or banners made from colorful tissue paper with designs cut out, twist and turn in the breeze, strung back and forth above the picnic tables.

“We have different types of food trucks in one spot, [and] each food truck has different food. We are like close family,” said Fernando. Despite their variety in flavors and areas represented, all of the trucks serve authentic dishes at modest prices.

According to the food park’s website, the food served at the park is “different cuisines in Mexico: Oaxaca, Jalisco, Michoacan, Yucatan, and Mexico City.”

According to Bacilio, the Maria Machetes food truck focuses on cuisine from Oaxaca, a Mexican state located in the southwestern region of the country. “The food is Mexican, [from] Oaxaca. The most popular dishes are the Tlayudas; a big tortilla, like a tostada. It comes with beans, cabbage, and different meats. We also have the chicken mole bowl, something more popular in Mexico too. We also have molotes… and memelas. Basically all from Mexico and Oaxaca.” 

Situated next to Maria Machetes was Antojitos Victoria, a food truck whose cuisine is from the Mexican state of Hidalgo. “We started selling here about a year ago in July. We make handmade quesadillas… Everything is done from scratch… That’s what’s different from other food trucks… We have nopales and chicharrones, those are the main things we sell,” said Fernando. 

The last truck of the park, Lucha Sabina, has a culinary focus on mushrooms. “[Our truck] is called Lucha Sabina. Sabina for a woman who is from Oaxaca, [who worked] with pure mushrooms. Lucha (fight) is for the fight of all the immigrants who come to these countries, to work and fight every day. This truck sells mushrooms on tacos, burritos, quesadillas, on everything. Here, many are Mexican, and this food is Mexican, so there are more people [in this area for us to serve],” said Luz, who works at the Lucha Sabina truck, in an interview translated from Spanish. 

“We like to be here because we’re here as family. [Everyone] has different food, [you can try] different food, and people come as a family,” said Bacilio.

For more information, visit the Mitote Food Park website, mitotefoodpark.com.