Charity run donates to Summer Search

exc-5457e23ce4b0f9a8810b2642
    exc-5457e23ce4b0f9a8810b2642

The Accounting Forum, in association with the School of Business and Economics, will be hosting their annual “5k Tour de Campus” charity run around SSU this Saturday, Oct. 5. This year’s proceeds will go to the local branch of the charity “Summer Search.” Tickets to the event are $10, and include a T-shirt, barbeque lunch, games and live entertainment. Prizes will be given out to the first, second, and third place winners for the men’s and women’s divisions. 

The track, approximately three miles long, will begin at the University Commons and spread out around the perimeter of campus, heading towards the dorms and then around to the Green Music center and back. Accounting Forum members will be stationed at different points of the track to help direct runners in the right direction. 

The 5k Tour de Campus began five years ago and was inspired by the San Francisco “Bay to Breakers” 12k, which encourages runners to dress in costume. 

After the first year, a new element was added to the 5k, the Dean’s Challenge. Dean William Silver of the School of Business and Economics, participates in the run while wearing a suit and tie, and encourages other students to run while dressed in similar attire. Any student who participates in the race, while wearing a suit and tie, and completes the track before the dean, will have $20 donated to Summer Search on their behalf. 

“This event highlights what the School of Business and Economics is really about. More than anything, the SBE is a community of students, faculty, staff, alumni, and business professionals who are learning together and making a difference,” said Silver. “The event is to encourage philanthropy, an important aspect of business.” 

Summer Search is an organization that recruits low-income high school students and helps mentor them towards higher education. 

With locations across the country, Summer Search provides advising, mentoring, scholarships and other resources for students. 

Community Service Chair of the Accounting Forum Joe Munayer is a Sonoma State junior who was recruited by Summer Search when he was a sophomore in high school. As a part of his Summer Search experience, Munayer was able to backpack through Alaska for a month and travel to China. 

“The interview process is pretty rigorous. They look for low-income, first generation, altruistic people with leadership potential,” said Munayer. 

Jay Standridge, who also works with Munayer as the community service chair, has attended the 5k Tour de Campus since its inception. Last year’s race hosted 200 students, faculty, staff and alum, and this year Standridge hopes for a 50-person increase. 

“You don’t have to be in accounting to come. You can bring your friends, family and children. Last year we raised around $3,000 for the charity Students Rising Above, and this year we hope to raise $4,000,” said Standridge. “This event is also good for networking. Accounting Firm recruiters will be out there, and it is possible get a job out of this.” 

A fundraiser will be held on Thursday at local frozen yogurt venue Swirl Time, and 20 percent of the proceeds purchased with Summer Search mentioned will be donated to the organization. The Accounting Forum hopes to create a strong and long-lasting relationship with Summer Search in the future.

For more information and any questions about the 5k Tour de Campus, email [email protected].