“Scream” House open for a Halloween overnight stay

exc-616f5eb861fcba17862349b5
exc-616f5eb861fcba17862349b5

Airbnb announced that they are offering a new experience at the house from the movie “Scream” this Halloween for the film’s 25th anniversary. Guests will have a one-night experience to stay and explore the house that has terrified and delighted audiences for a generation. 

Airbnb will be offering one-night stays for up to four people in the “Scream” house in Tomales on Oct. 27, 29, and 31. David Arquette, who played Sheriff Dewey Riley, will virtually greet the hosts when they arrive to begin the “Ultimate Halloween overnight stay.” 

According to Airbnb’s press release, the house will be restored to its former glory with all the details from the film like the knife marks on the door from the death of Dewey’s sister, Tatum. A VHS marathon of the “Scream” series, nineties-inspired snacks, and a dedicated phone line for reaching Ghostface for any questions or requests are included in a one-night stay of the house. 

The 1996 classic used many locations around Sonoma State to create ‘Woodsboro.’  The homes of Casey Becker and Sidney Prescott are located off of Route 12 near Glen Ellen and to the north of Santa Rosa on Calistoga Road, respectively. Woodsboro town square is in reality the Healdsburg town square. Just 22 miles north of campus, serves as the spot where the teens talk about the murders terrorizing their town. All of the locations were listed on movie-locations.com, a website featuring an archive of thousands of movies and the locations featured in them.

Scream director, Wes Craven, did run into trouble filming. Santa Rosa High School was set to be the backdrop for Woodsboro High, but the Santa Rosa city school district governing board had a problem with the script and ultimately opted to not be featured in the film. Craven thanked the Sonoma Community Center, the actual setting of Woodsboro High. During the end credits of the film; Craven thanks all the locations for filming, and “No thanks whatsoever to The Santa Rosa City School District Governing Board,” at the bottom of the screen. 

“It’s funny because it seems like such a random place to film such a famous horror movie and I’ve never even heard it mentioned,” says Bella Boggio, a fourth year student, about filming in Sonoma County. Interestingly, Craven is not even the first horror director in Santa Rosa. Horror legend Alfred Hitchcock filmed his 1943 film, “Shadow of a Doubt,” in many locations around Santa Rosa. 

Themed Airbnb rentals and experiences have become more popular on the site with other offerings. A St. Louis’ apartment was decorated by the owner to resemble the Byers home from the first season of the Netflix Original, “Stranger Things.” Most themed experiences are done by the host, but the “Scream” rental is one of the first sponsored by Airbnb directly. 

“I never saw the movie, but things like this definitely make me want to go back and watch it,” said Maddie Bonner, a fourth year student, about the uptick in themed Airbnbs.

Bookings for the “Scream” house will open on Oct. 12 at 10 a.m. For more information, visit Airbnb.com.