The premiere of ‘WarCircus’ sells out

COURTESY // @milosopher on instagram

The cast of  ‘WarCircus’ after their performance on April 6.

The Theatre Arts and Dance Department presents “WarCircus” on April 6 at Ives Hall to a full house.  The play is an adaptation of “The Trojan Women.”In the aftermath of the Trojan War, women’s fate is left to the Greek conquerors. Everybody is forced to participate in performing for a circus that has been traveling around for thousands of years putting on an anti-war play. The play touched on what it means to be entertained while also asking what it means to be exploited. Trigger warnings include sexual assault and PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder).    

Nyree Johnson, a fourth-year sociology major, mentioned what she liked most about the play “I loved when all the characters were off on the sides; each sitting at their own vanities, with the spotlight on them when they each gave their own testament.” Johnson mentioned how the performance engaged with the audience. “I thought it was very different, for a play and it was very interactive and I just love a good spotlight moment” Johnson went on to add “The play is a good watch, definitely something unexpected. It is very interactive, it’s very dynamic and chaotic but in a good way.”

Miranda Obrero, a first-year early childhood studies major came to watch the performance as part of her class.  “We study plays then we take the concept of it and apply it into our own work, it is basically analyzing plays” she praised how the actors had a great performance.” I have a few classmates and friends. I am very proud of them to see how the hard work has paid off.”Obrero stated one of the most impactful moments to her was “ The scene that talks  about how a character was raped and sexually assaulted. that’s definitely a serious issue in today’s era” she added “Seeing a character so in depth about it is very compelling and emotion.”

“What I liked most about the play was that it kind of showed that the perspective tells a lot of what we have in Greek history and Greek mythology,” said Alyssia Muela, a third-year math major. Muela continued to say that something that stood out to her in the performance was “Deija Temple she did amazing, she has this presence and ability to make you feel things” She further stated “A significant moment in the play was the blanket with the blood on it, that hit so hard when it was revealed that the blanket was not even the child, it was the blanket the child had when it died.”

The cast and crew received cheers from the crowd at the end of the opening night performance. To learn more about performances hosted by the Theater Arts and Dance deparment you can go to their webpage and go to the on stage option.