Drake sets new bar with “Scary Hours”

exc-5a71498cec212dcf0ffb23aa
exc-5a71498cec212dcf0ffb23aa

Drake started from the bottom and now is breaking records. On Wednesday, Spotify said that “Drake’s new release, ‘God’s Plan,’ broke the US record as the most streamed track in a single day.” The song beat out Taylor Swift’s “Look What You Made Me Do,” after reaching 14 million spins worldwide.

Drake is not new to breaking records. From 2015 to 2016 he held the record for being the most streamed artist until just last year, when Ed Sheeran knocked Drake down to second place with his song “Galway Girl.”

Drake announced the release of his two song EP “Scary Hours” an hour before they dropped last Friday. As an artist, Drake is meticulous in the way he drops his new releases, to build a bigger fan base and get people to listen to his music, before he drops the entire album. He used this tactic with his previous albums to create more hype around his music.

“God’s Plan,” produced by Cardo Boi-1da and Yex, has a playful beat and catchy lyrics, while “Diplomatic Immunity,” produced by Boi-1Da, has a soulful feel with strings and piano keys.

“God’s Plan” has created an enormous impact to fans within the first hours of its release. Drake’s newest track talks about how people want to see him fail and encounter hardships; however, God won’t let that happen. The people who are putting him down keep him motivated to do better, hence the post chorus lyrics, “And still/ Bad things, It’s a lot of bad things/ That they wishin’ and wishin’ and wishin’ and wishin’/ They wishin’ on me.”

In another verse of his song, Drake’s lyrics establish that he can only trust those close to him because everyone else has ulterior motives to bring him down in the industry. By the looks of the lyrics in the song, “She say, ‘Do you love me?’/ I tell her, only partly,/’ I only love my bed and my momma, I’m sorry.” Drake makes it clear the only things he puts trust in are his bed, his family and his closest friends. Trusting anyone else allows an opportunity to diminish his artistry. With both of these songs released, many fans and viewers speculate the album coming out very soon in 2018.

Drake is known for being a chart-topper in the music industry, and an artist many others want to work with in order to grow their own success. Drake is in a category of his own; there are not many artists like him that bring not only everyday feel good music, but also songs you catch yourself knowing every lyric too.