Music and film industry harness the empowerment of women

Harvey Weinstein has a record of 84 sexual misconduct accusations, according to USA Today. Since then, women are speaking up and demanding equality. With society having a change in attitude, media is remaining relevant by reflecting what is pressing and overdue: Women’s rights

The movie industry is one of the most influential industries in society, and has picked up on proper representation. “Wonder Woman” reminded everyone of the power and strength women hold. It follows Diana Prince, played by Gal Gadot, as she goes from an Amazonian warrior to fighting alongside men in war. “Red Sparrow,” tells the story of a woman who becomes a spy to save her family. And “A Wrinkle in Time,” where a young girl is guided by three powerful women, animates the inner strength it takes to save the world.

The film industry, and music industry, is moving away from the typical plots of men saving women and moving towards women being their own heroes. And the music industry is if not guiding, following suit.

There are many songs that have always been about strong women: Aretha Franklin’s “Respect,” Kelly Clarkson’s “Stronger,” and Beyonce’s “Run the World (Girls).” But now, empowering tracks flood the airwaves.

Kesha, who had a very public battle with her producer about his sexual assault towards her, has reclaimed her power in her latest project “Rainbow.” Kesha’s “Woman,” is all about women being independent and not needing men, while her song and music video to “Praying” sheds light on her experience.

Keith Urban’s “Female” draws light on a lot of problems women face. He addresses the stigma of hitting “like a girl” all the way to questioning, “When somebody laughs and implies that she asked for it, just ’cause she was wearing a skirt, oh is that how it works?” Urban gives attention to the problems women face promoting conversation which leads to solutions.

Dua Lipa’s “New Rules,” talk about how Lipa will move on and be independent without the man who wronged her by following her new rules, and Demi Lovato’s “Sorry Not Sorry” where she sings about being strong and not being apologetic for it.

With society becoming a loud voice that campaigns for the better treatment of women, film and music have quickly also begun reinforcing equality. They not only reflect what is current in culture, but have also showed that while there are men like Weinstein causing women to say “me too,” there is also support for equal rights all throughout society.