Contestants shine in NAK’s sixth annual Miss Greek

Nu Alpha Kappa brought Ballroom A to life Thursday night during their sixth annual Miss Greek pageant. Proud sorority sisters, friends and family cheered on the 10 contestants competing in the philanthropic event. The pageant-style competition between the 10 of 12 represented sororities drew a near full house. The title of Miss Greek 2018 was on the line, including first pick of booths at NAKland and a certificate to Treasury Wine Estates.

Three rounds were given to showcase each contestant’s abilities: an introduction, where contestants introduced themselves and gave facts about themselves and interests, their sorority and philanthropy and why they joined their organization. The second featured talent; contestants received five minutes to show off their skills.  An upside down portrait of Marilyn Monroe, makeup tutorials, and different styles of Latin dance,  bachata, cumbia, and zapateado, were just some of the displayed talents. The third was the question and answer portion, where contestants gave answers on three random questions; ranging from what it means to them to be in Greek life and advice for new college students, to favorite superheroes.

Title Winner Kathryn Griffith of Sigma Omega Nu happily accepts her crown 

“I’m really proud of myself. I never thought I could do anything like this,”  said winner and junior Kathy Griffith of Sigma Omega Nu Latina Interest Sorority Inc. Griffith, a  third year business major and childhood studies minor, was “..super excited to be a part of it this year.”

The general entrance fee for Miss Greek was a new toy, book or donation to their philanthropy that they will donate to the children in attendance at NAKland. NAKland is a free annual children’s carnival held on the Sonoma State campus that promotes higher education to the children in the community. “Getting to participate in Miss Greek was a great experience because you know you’re doing it for a great cause, and it promotes Greek unity,” junior Alizia Zajaczkowski said.

NAKland gives children and parents the opportunity to be on a college campus and helps to promote the idea that receiving higher education is possible. This year a portion of the proceeds will be going to Raza Grad, which is a culturally inclusive graduation celebration for Chicanx and Latinx students. Every Greek organization has the option of running their own booth at NAKland each year.

holding axid sign.jpg

The brothers of Nu Alpha Kappa spent weeks planning the event to ensure the best possible results for the children attending NAKland. According to Antonio Hoyos, a second year computer science major with a minor in Spanish and a brother of Nu Alpha Kappa, the preparation process for Miss Greek is “very hectic, but worth it.”

This year’s NAKland will take place on March 17 and is open to the public.