New app aims to ease group messaging

As students in college, communication is key with friends and organizations whether it is through phone calls, texting or emailing, and even social media. However, one of the pitfalls to having multiple kinds of smartphones operating on different platforms is that it often causes problems when trying to text multiple people.  

That is what Quad, an application dedicated to students in college involved with clubs or organizations, is designed to alleviate. 

Matthew Murphy, co-founder and CEO of Quad located in Redwood City, wanted to make group messaging more organized and stress relieving for students who are actively involved in groups and organizations. 

“The big problem that Quad is tackling is how groups and organizations in college campuses are vital,” said Murphy. “We were shocked how groups and organizations still use email for their main purpose of communication.”

Over a year ago, Murphy came up with the idea of Quad for students to communicate with the entire organization with subtopics as well.

“There are not any group chat products out in the market that could handle or hold more than fifty people,” said Murphy. “Communication is a key aspect yet no one is giving them an easily accessible way to keep that communication within groups.”

That is why Murphy developed Quad, for students to keep up to date with other students on campus with the same common interest. 

“Using Quad, we are trying to empower groups of people to really communicate, get things done, and achieve common missions and goals together,” said Murphy. 

Quad has been featured and used at over 3,000 of the 4,500 college campuses in the United States, with Penn State being the first and biggest school to use it. Groups at Sonoma State, such as Alpha Delta Pi’s Theta Gamma Chapter, also use Quad to communicate with their members.

Quad allows organizations to organize particular topics and categorizes that their members, using quad, would talk about in a classified manner.

“As a user, you set up a Quad for your organization and/or club, name the forum for various topics or events and invite your members,” said Murphy. “With quad you can break down the conversation into many different topics.”

When breaking down the conversation into different topics, students who are communicating will be able to view the messages easily and not be bombarded with text messages. 

As students become more intrigued with specific sports or hands-on activities, Quad allows them to find organizations that fulfill their desire.

“Students who use Quad can easily find clubs that they are interested in by accessing the app and searching for other clubs using quad around you,” said Murphy. “Quad can be public so anyone can see it and join, it can be private so anyone can see it but they must request access, or it can be hidden meaning you must be invited in by the organization or club.”

Quad has been actively used and accessible on any app store for free for eleven weeks and it is available for iPhones, Androids and any non-smart phone. 

“In the latest 3.0 version, we released the ability to have Quad messaging available through SMS messaging to users who do not have smart phones,” said Murphy. “It will easily let everyone still communicate regardless of their type of phone.”

Quad is also being advertised through interns on school campuses who are interested with the apps idea and want other students who are involved with extra curricular activities to use it.

“We have a formal internship process that have the right skills and passion for the product,” said Murphy. “Interns at each of the campuses using quad have a common goal and mission and that is to have all the students at the school-using quad.” 

As interns use Quad throughout campuses, they talk to various group leaders, walk them through the product and use Quad more often.

Murphy also stated that they are always looking for interns on college campuses. 

He said that if any students are looking for an opportunity to intern, visit joinquadsquad.com.