Adventure in our own backyard: Local spring break ideas for the non traveller

Spring break is around the corner, and more often than not students have to stay here for work or simply can’t go home. Boredom is not an option this spring break, as there are  fun, and cheap, local activities readily available. 

Sonoma County

Taylor Mountain Hiking Trail: Located right off Petaluma Hill Road in Santa Rosa. With sweeping views of the hills and offering an escape to nature, this is something you need to take on. The hike is easy and has a small fee of $7.00 for parking.

Charles Schultz Museum: Everyone needs to experience the history behind the making of the “Peanuts” comic strip. It is only a town away in Santa Rosa, with an admission fee of $12.00.

Sonoma Plaza: A short 30-minute drive away, including shops and restaurants to visit. This quaint town has a lot to offer, and has the perfect picnic spots on the center grass area. The recommended time to go is morning or midday so that you can see all the beauty of the town.

Marin County

Hike to Alamere Falls: This is no easy hike; with a 13-mile minimum trail you’ll be resting the rest of the weekend. On top of it being completely free, the views along the way of the water and hills are breathtaking, with the reward of seeing beautiful waterfalls at the end. The best time to go is early morning before it gets too busy, and the parking lot fills up fast, especially on weekends. This hike is far, about an hour and a half away, but extremely worth it in the end.

Stinson Beach: If you are in need of the beach then Stinson is the place to go. With a beachfront cafe and sand that goes for miles and miles, what’s not to love. Although it is about an hour away, it is also completely free. Perfect for a long beach day of laying out in the sun or going for sunset and sitting by a bonfire.

Sea Trek Kayaking: Located in Sausalito on the water, you can Kayak for $25/hour on the Bay Area. About 45 minutes away. You can escape to the waters for a day and see the bay from a different perspective.

San Francisco

Dolores Park: About an hour south into the city, you can find this park tucked away. Dolores Park features a huge span of grass and hills to picnic on. With lots of nearby restaurants, you can get food to go and enjoy it at Dolores. You may find parking difficult to find since it is the city, but it is possible. Another way of getting to San Francisco is through the ferry for a round trip of $15. There are ferry terminals in Larkspur and Sausalito that take you to the San Francisco ferry building.

Museum of Modern Art: Also known as the MOMA, it is a more recent addition to San Francisco. For full-time students who bring their I.D., it is a low price of $14 to enter the museum. There are new collections every month, so make sure to check online if the art being displayed that day is something that interests you. Parking is accessible through various parking garages near the museum.