Shooting, stabbing occurs near campus

Sonoma State University and the Rohnert Park Police Department are warning students and the community about a series of criminal incidents that have occurred recently along the Copeland Creek trail near Rancho Cotate High School and SSU.

It was reported to the Sonoma State Police Services on Tuesday that on April 17, at approximately 11 p.m., several teenagers were approached by a dark, male figure in the Rancho Cotate High School parking lot who began shooting multiple gunshots toward them. 

Despite none of the individuals being struck or injured by the gunfire, the incident still proved to be frightening to those involved. 

The attack appeared to be random with no motive or known local gang connections, according to police. A bullet did however strike one of the teenager’s vehicles.

Days after the shooting, a man was approached by a man wearing dark clothing and stabbed with an unknown weapon on the Copeland Creek trail near Commerce Boulevard and Seed Farm Drive in Rohnert Park.

It is undetermined if these incidents are related, but Sonoma State Police Services and Rohnert Park Public Safety warns students to be aware of their surroundings, especially after dark. 

Rohnert Park Police Sgt. Jeff Nicks said in an interview with the Press Democrat on Wednesday, “We want the public to be aware, but we don’t want people to be scared. Be vigilant.”

The stabbing victim, a 20-year-old male, reported he did not know who his attacker was and why he was attacked. The victim’s injuries are not life threatening. 

Anyone with additional information regarding these recent attacks is asked to contact Sonoma State Police Services at (707) 664-4444 or the Rohnert Park Police Department at (707) 584-2600.

Sonoma State Police Services encourages students and community members to report siting of suspicious person(s) to police services, always walk with a purpose, be aware of surroundings and avoid distractions concerning music and cellular devices.

Always reach out to the SSU Police Services if in need of a safety escort while on campus, and if a crime is witnessed or in a time of emergency, always call 911.