‘My Dear Melancholy’ drowns fans in nostalgia

exc-5ade8c75758d468e9c341782
exc-5ade8c75758d468e9c341782

The Weeknd has done it again. Following his commercially successful “Starboy,” Abel Tesfaye has come out with his latest work of art, “My Dear Melancholy.” 

The speculation of heartbreak weaved into the album is difficult to dismiss after months of his relationships in the media and the cryptic tracklist. At a short time of 22 minutes and six songs, “My Dear Melancholy” reminds us of the Tesfaye we used to know; “Trilogy” Tesfaye.

His blunt emotion sends listeners to his EP days. “Thursday,” “House of Balloons,” and “Echoes of Silence” are a Tesfaye we haven’t witnessed since “Kissland.” “Beauty Behind the Madness” and “Starboy” featured more “feel better” upbeat and light music. This time, The Weeknd has hit every spectrum of notes. He goes from being the heartbreaker to getting his heartbroken. 

“Call Out My Name,” the work’s first track, begins with a slow tempo describing his recent breakup. He feels used and that the relationship was more one-sided. He sings, “I want you to stay, even though you don’t want me.” 

In the song “Try Me,” he speeds it up a little with the beat. He sings the lyrics, “You’re the best I ever had, baby girl, remind me,” and fans can’t help but wonder which ex-girlfriend he is talking about. 

He is putting himself out there by making himself vulnerable to her hurting him again. The Weeknd’s carries his deepest feelings throughout this song and the album entirely. He continues the album with the song “Wasted Times,” which is solely The Weeknd explaining that was wasting time with all the other women that he spent time with. Throughout the album he begs this mystery woman to come back into his life because he can’t live without her. “I ain’t got no business catchin’ feelings,” says one of the verses in this piece, showing he isn’t over her and can’t possibly feel the same way about anyone else. 

“I Was Never There” has a unique beginning, with a siren-type sound. “What makes a grown man want to cry? What makes him want to take his life? His happiness is never real,” it says. 

Considering this song is about himself, he is revealing every part of his life and all the sadness it contains. The song continues to have a drawn-out tempo to set the mood. 

“Hurt You” shows another side to this album by talking about how he doesn’t want to hurt her. He doesn’t want anything to do with her and won’t deny he can’t keep his hands to himself if she shows up, but doesn’t want to lead her on. 

The album finishes off with “Privilege.” A track about parting with an ex, he sings, “We said our last goodbyes, so let’s try to end it with a smile.”

The Weeknd wishes the best for his ex, but knows she’ll be just fine living her “privileged” life. He says he has his own coping mechanisms for getting over her by taking pills and drinking, and is tired of hearing she is suffering.

“My Dear Melancholy” is filled with emotion and soul from The Weeknd’s personal relationships. A six-song album usually isn’t enough for other music artists to showcase their talent, but The Weeknd isn’t an ordinary artist.