Provost presents strategic plan at meeting

exc-54184c5ce4b007cb7c541463
    exc-54184c5ce4b007cb7c541463

Encompassing the University as a living instrument of intellect and engagement is the challenge being taken on by the University Draft Strategic Plan.  

The plan encompasses the viewpoint, culture and goals of the university while also pinpointing areas of success and improvement.  Provost Andrew Rogerson presented the draft and was able to discuss it with Associated Students on Friday.  

“It is impressive that as a university we are already following through with some of these goals,” said Rogerson during the meeting. 

The current draft recognizes the culture including intellectual curiosity, diversity and inclusiveness, community involvement and civic engagement, sustainability and globalization, in the sense that there is an increased global awareness.  

The means and methods of achieving these goals are addressed by an increase in internal resource management and enrollment management During the meeting, senators from Associated Students were able to ask questions on the specifics for addressing some of the natures of the plan.  

The University plans to accomplish these goals through more academic integration of the Green Music Center as well as hiring 19 faculty members by 2019.  Concerns about verbiage and the priorities of expanding academic advising and diversity within the population of staff and students were also acknowledged.   

“Community is a huge part of both the university and AS strategic plans,” Erik Dickson, executive director of Associated Students said.  

Goals of the university directly affect the entire community of staff and students and various senators repeatedly stressed the importance of involvement in the development of these goals during the meeting.  Multiple senators spoke about concerns with the attainability of the goals presented and means of achieving these goals all the while questioning the utilization of ambiguous terms throughout the document.  

In order to be an accredited university by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (commonly referred to as WASC) standards, the University must include a strategic plan.  This document is intended to portray the intention and point of view of the school within a certain period of time.  

The current draft outlines improving the student experience, academic programs, faculty and staff quality of teaching.  The Strategic Plan will be reviewed on a yearly basis and changes will be made in accordance to prevalent priorities of the university.  

Comments are due before the end of September as the final draft will be available by the end of this month.