University system reaches 3 million alumni

Three million. Not a small number by any means, but rather the amount of alumni that the California State University system has produced since 1961. With the 2015 commencement, the number of alumni will surpass 3 million and in recognition of reaching this milestone, the university launched the “Class of 3 Million” celebration.

“The Class of 3 Million milestone is a momentous occasion that allows us to honor all of the CSU students who have shaped the state, the nation and beyond,” said Chancellor Timothy White.

The California State University system is one of the world’s largest comprehensive four-year public university system, which produces leaders who play a role in every major industry, making California one of the most successful global economies. The California State University system has produced many accomplished and respected leaders in fields including business, engineering, agriculture, education, hospitality, tourism, entertainment, athletics and health care.

It’s one of the largest university systems in the country. The 23 campuses serve one of the most diverse groups of students (447,000), faculty and staff (45,000) and soon, over 3 million alumni.

Some facts about how large the California State University system is include: One of every 20 Americans with a college degree is a graduate of the system and one of every 10 employees in the state of California is as well.

To start the celebration, the university system is launching what will become the world’s largest yearbook. The “Class of 3 Million” online yearbook is an interactive platform where alumni can create a profile and connect with millions of other alumni from the 23 CSU campuses across the state. The yearbook is currently online and has information of students who have submitted it. Out of the three million graduates, about 60,000 of them are Sonoma State University alumni.

“To help celebrate Sonoma State will invite all of its alumni and current class of 2015 seniors to take their place alongside the millions of CSU alumni who have shaped California by signing the world’s largest yearbook,” said Anne Biasi, director of the Alumni Association.

“The university will be distributing ‘Class of 3 Million’ swag throughout the year, including ‘3M’ bracelets at commencement to graduating seniors and lapel pins to alumni. 

The bookstore will also be selling some 3 Million gear,” Biasi said.

As the SSU Alumni Association continues to grow with increasing number of alumni, the SSUAA’s purpose is always to provide quality programs and services for all alumni,

“It is fun to look through the yearbook and see where my old classmates have ended up and make new connections since I relocated back to Sonoma County,” said Jenna Hennessy, a 2008 Long Beach State graduate.

The Association also looks to enhance alumni relationships with the university, support the university financially with alumni resources and assist in the development of student relations and promote student involvement in the SSU’s Alumni Association.

“The main goals of the Sonoma State University Alumni Association are to foster, renew and enhance the relationship between alumni and the university. The association continues to actively pursue amenities that bring together students and alumni in ways that benefit them both, like mentor programs. Students should join to tap into the network of alumni for advice, support and to stay connected with SSU after they graduate,” Biasi said.

For more information on what the Sonoma State Alumni Association has planned, stop by their office at Stevenson 1071 or visit their webpage at ssualumni.org. To view the online yearbook and some of the distinguished graduates of Sonoma State, visit classof3million.calstate.edu.

“We encourage students who aren’t part of the Class of 3 Million, to visit the yearbook to check out who’s who, what companies CSU grads go on to work for, what cities they land in, what industries our grads go into and so on,” said Stephanie Thara, a web communications specialist, public affairs for the office of the California State University chancellor. “It’s a great networking tool, considering that the CSU has one of the largest alumni families in the world.”