Leadership recognized at nonprofit conference ceremony

exc-54466fc3e4b0da769d41a9ab
    exc-54466fc3e4b0da769d41a9ab

The North Bay Nonprofit Conference is coming to Sonoma State University for the first time on Oct. 30. 

While this event has been held for numerous years, those planning the event are excited for it to take place in the Student Center. 

The Volunteer Center of Sonoma County, the North Bay Business Journal, the Pisenti and Brinker accounting firm of Santa Rosa and Summit State Bank will be putting on the conference.

The Volunteer Center of Sonoma County, which has been running for more than 40 years, offers opportunities for volunteers, nonprofits and businesses. 

According to a Corporation for National and Community Service report, Sonoma County ranked first place statewide in volunteerism. 

The Volunteer Center of Sonoma County plays a major role in organizing a great deal of the local volunteers.

Margaret Purser of the anthropology department is in charge of the event’s planning.

“The primary function of the event itself is to provide training and workshop opportunities for the nonprofits themselves, just as has been the purpose of the event in years past,” said Purser. 

There are several organizations that will be involved and attending the North Bay Nonprofit Conference to help people get more involved.     

Some of these include the Boys & Girls Club of Sonoma Valley, CalSERVES, Habitat for Humanity and the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. 

This event will provide workshops and training from the people who run the major nonprofits of Sonoma County. 

Also taking place at the conference will be the Leadership Awards ceremony for the top nonprofits in the area.

Jo-Ann Dapiran from the Provost’s Office is organizing the attendance for the event. 

“I will be sending out another blast invitation to faculty this week and [I] anticipate the numbers to go up slightly [for attendance],” said Dapiran. 

Each breakout session will discuss topics such as fundraising, board development, human resources and leadership, finance and more. 

Jan Masaoka, the CEO of California Association of Nonprofits, will talk about current and future trends of the nonprofits of California. 

She is a top writer and thinker regarding nonprofit organizations and focuses more on board of directors, business planning and the role of nonprofits in society. 

Masaoka has multiple published books and she is also the founder and publisher of Blue Avocado, which is a magazine discussing nonprofits.

Although the early bird registration date has already passed, students and faculty can still sign up for $125 if they are a member of the 

Volunteer Center of Sonoma County or $145 if they are not. 

Lunch is included in this registration fee. President Ruben Armiñana has made funding available to support the faculty attendance. 

As of now, it is primarily professors signed up however students are welcome to attend. 

There is a few free sessions throughout the day though focusing on “Careers in Nonprofits” and a panel discussion on future career trends in non-profits, locally and nationally, focusing on sustainability, health and wellness and social justice. 

Students are highly encouraged to attend these free sessions if they decide to not attend the full day of the conference. 

Carlos Torres, a professor of the anthropology, is one of the many faculty members from Sonoma State who is going to be attending the North Bay Nonprofit Conference. 

Having this event on campus provides students an opportunity they may otherwise not have had. 

Even if students are not interested in attending the full day of the conference, they are still encouraged to attend the free sessions. 

Students or faculty members who are interesting in attending should contact Dapiran from Provost Andrew Rogerson’s office to register. 

Students can also visit northbaybusinessjournal.com or volunteer.org for more information on the event to be held on Oct. 30.