Huge storm hits San Francisco Bay Area

exc-54894342e4b08cb18ef27eac
    exc-54894342e4b08cb18ef27eac

National Weather Service has issued high wind warning and a flash flood watch today after a large storm hits San Francisco Bay Area.

Sonoma State University addressed that classes will remain open, and finals will resume as planned for tomorrow and Friday. A message was sent out to students and staff through SSU’s Emergency Notification System.

The national weather service expects 5 to 7 inches of rain between today, tomorrow and Friday.

Notices were delivered to Seawolf email addresses and by text message to students who have their mobile phone number listed on their MySSU account.

Updates will also be made at 888-533-5388, a 24-hour emergency hotline.

“As far as I have been told as [of] right now, campus will be open tomorrow,” said Sonoma State Police Officer Eric Wilde. “If anything big happens, that’s why we have the emergency broadcast.”

Sonoma State will have emergency generators on standby if power fails on campus, additional police officers as well as extra facilities crew members ready if any emergencies arise from the storm throughout the night.

“Regarding the storm, I have no idea how I am getting all my paintings out of here, they have to be out of the art studio by Friday,” said Mackenzie Annala, an art studio major at Sonoma State. “Our final is probably not going to be cancelled, we just have to show up and talk about our work.”

Annala said most students have large paintings, which usually have to be taken by pickup. At the current state of the storm, the rain would ruin student work.

“I don’t think the school will close since we wouldn’t have time to make up our finals,” said Nicole Pipp, co-op team leader and student at Sonoma State.

San Francisco State University will be closed tomorrow and Friday because of the weather. Today’s courses remained open during the beginning of storm.

“I’m happy they closed campus and cancelled classes because it gives me a little room to breathe,” said Kaitlin Aguilar, visual communication design major at San Francisco State University. “Finals are obviously stressful on everyone.”

At this current time, Santa Rosa Junior College has not said whether it will be open or closed tomorrow during the storm. Students and faculty are told to call 707-527-4011 tomorrow morning to see whether finals will still be held. Expect an update on the college’s Facebook page, whether it’ll be open or closed, by 6 a.m.

“I do think classes will still be open,” said Sindy Alarcon, a student at SRJC. “I’m hoping there is no electricity, so I wouldn’t have to show up to school tomorrow.”

Diablo Valley College, a community college in the San Francisco East Bay, will remain open during the storm and classes will stay in session.

The city of Rohnert Park has sand bags available for residents outside the gate of the Rohnert Park Corporation Yard at 600 Enterprise Dr. Residents are able to pick them up day or night, but have to fill the bags themselves.