Spring Club Fair enlightens students

exc-54d090b2e4b0687a60a370b0
    exc-54d090b2e4b0687a60a370b0

Dozens of clubs and organizations set up booths in the area between the Student Center and the Recreation Center on Thursday, for the annual Spring Club Fair. Hundreds of students pursued the different booths in search of a club to call their home away from home while music played on surrounding speakers.

Getting involved on campus can be enriching and give many a more fulfilled college experience. Students can become more connected to the school and feel a greater sense of community. Meeting students who are like-minded and driven can also help in the pursuit to find strengths and passions that help transform the college experience and even serve as great resume builders to many.

“Coming to the club fair and talking to the wide variety of clubs present, made me realize that getting involved with clubs on campus is very important,” said Michelle Reese, a sophomore and psychology major. “It helps you feel more connected to the university.”

“I think the club fair is a great way to get involved and it shows how creative people are in how they set up their tables and clubs,” said Nik Stelmashenko, a junior and English major.

Sonoma State University has a variety of options to choose from leadership, volunteer work, sports, culture and activism – the list goes on. Meeting with members of any of these clubs proves how dedicated and involved Sonoma State students are on the campus and the community surrounding.

Students interested in learning about making positive change may be interested in the Sociology: Social Justice and Activism Club. They will host a string of events from March 23-27 during Social Justice Week, which includes special guest speakers such as Peter Dale Scott, a writer and researcher from UC Berkeley, and former Black Panther Charlotte O’Neal.

“Some of our events are actually getting live-broadcasted on the radio,” said Club President Shelby Wade. “Organizing events looks really good on resumes and since we have such a big week of events coming up in March, you can help run some of [them].”

For those interested in student government, consider joining Associated Students. There are a variety of positions available to members to develop a stronger relationship to the student body, school and general community.

“We have elections coming up in March, so we really want to get students involved,” said Bianca Zamora, chair of the Associated Students senate. “We represent the student voice to make change and empower our campus.”

There are several culturally-based clubs on campus. One such example is the German Club, which holds weekly meetings to discuss the culture and show interesting German films.

“Everybody is welcome,” said Wylie Windheim, German cultural studies major. “Most of the people that come to our meetings are in the German classes, but you can totally come and not speak a lick of German and probably pick up some stuff.”

Sonoma State University even has an archery club. No previous experience is needed and everyone is welcome as long as they are willing to be respectful toward other members and contribute to a safe environment.

“Archery is just a club that gets people together around a certain commonality,” said Shawn Kelley, president of the archery club. “We share it and it becomes our little niche.”

The club now competes in many different tournaments during the school year and invites anyone interested to join regardless of skill level. They also hold practices every day of the week and branch out to other clubs in the area to learn from other Sonoma County archers.

“Last semester we went to a shoot in October at night out in the woods,” said Kelley. “We were shooting in the dark with flashlights and glow-sticks. It was really cool.”

Kelley encourages anyone interested to email him at [email protected].

For more information on any of the clubs on campus, students are encouraged to visit the Center for Students, Leadership Involvement and Service on the second floor of the Student Center.