Mercer elected as Associated Students president

exc-551a042de4b0976f5282d229
    exc-551a042de4b0976f5282d229

The Associated Students election concluded on March 11 with the election of Brandon Mercer for Associated Students president for the 2015-16 school year.  

The Associated Students Fee Referendum also passed with support from 67 percent of student voters. 

The results were announced at Lobo’s Pizza and Pub where Mercer won the majority of the vote with 74 percent while his opponent, Nicole Dominique, received 26 percent of the vote. 

“I am thrilled to have won the election and feel very motivated to get to work on behalf of my fellow Seawolves,” Mercer said. “I am ready and eager to shadow Anthony Gallino these last several weeks of the school year to fully grasp the duties of Associated Students President and prepare myself for next year.  

Mercer said he feels welcome and respected in the Associated Students office by all he comes into contact with. He said he is looking forward to working alongside others involved in Associated Students next year. Even though Dominique didn’t get elected for Associated Students president, she is planning on running for the Associated Students vice president position.

“Although, I didn’t win, I walk with my head held high, and am going for vice president,” said Dominique. “[The winners of the election] are an amazing group next year and I hope I have the opportunity to get vice president and get on board and be a part of next year’s leadership group.” 

Junior Kevin McMahon won the position of Associated Students vice president of finance with 94 percent. 

“I am excited to use the skills and knowledge I have acquired thus far in my three years at Sonoma State University through leadership roles in clubs and organizations,” said McMahon.

“Along with learning from Adam, all he has done this last year to perform my duties to the best of my ability,” he said. “I look forward to working with the other members of Associated Students and the student body to effect positive change on campus.” 

Since Associated Students vice president position is vacant, the Associated Students Senate has a process to elect someone to fill the position. A search committee, made up of current senate members and elected members of next year’s senate, will interview applicants for the executive vice president. 

The committee will then forward one or two recommended candidates to the president and the president will then nominate a candidate to the Associated Students Senate for confirmation.

The Associated Students fee referendum is adding a $12 fee increase over the next four years to help give money to campus programs and services to provide students the necessities they need. In the first year of the fee, the money is going to the Tutorial Center.

Current Associated Students President Anthony Gallino said, “I am pleased over 1,400 students voted in this last election. It’s so important for us to vote in the AS elections because these elections matter so much. We need good leaders to represent us. And we need to make sure people vote to elect the right individuals.”

For more information regarding Associated Students, the election or the newly implemented fee increase, students are encouraged to contact Associated Student representatives.