Campus prepares for commencement

On Saturday, roughly 2,000 Sonoma State University students will gather in their caps and gowns at the 2015 commencement ceremony. Sonoma State has 36 academic departments, 46 bachelor degree programs and 15 masters programs that will be included in the commencement. The 2,000 graduating students will join nearly 63,000 other Sonoma State alumni following Saturday’s ceremony.

Graduating Senior, Rebecca O’Neil will be graduating from the Hutchins School of Liberal Studies. O’Neil, who is graduating after four years at Sonoma State, will be attending St. Mary’s for a one year teaching credential and a Master’s degree in Education. 

When asked what she would tell her freshman self now, O’Neil said, “Put yourself out there. Sonoma is a blank slate. Paint what you want, this is your canvas.”

The top majors at Sonoma State are business, psychology, sociology, liberal studies, and communications and media studies.

“Sonoma State has prepared me for my future by giving me the opportunity to gain skills that are vital in the real world,” said communications and media studies major, Jackie Torres.

When asked what her favorite thing about Sonoma State is, Torres said, “The opportunities that campus clubs and organizations on campus gave such as leadership skills and figuring out my passion is through the Associated Students.”

After graduation, Torres will be exploring Northern California while applying for event planning jobs and looking to move back to southern California. 

Speaking at commencement will be graduating senior Adam Rosenkranz. Rosenkranz, a business major with an emphasis on finance, believes college is a chance for students to discover themselves and shape their identities.

“College is a time where you begin to define your future self and the most defining moments are generally the most challenging. Relish and embrace those challenges,” said Rosekranz.

Rosenkranz is thankful for his experiences at Sonoma State and believes his time at the university has developed him into the person he is today. 

“The many leadership experiences that I engaged in during my time at Sonoma State were invaluable to my development as a person,” said Rosenkranz. “I learned how to articulate my thoughts with clarity, prioritize my responsibilities, work collaboratively and most importantly, I learned how to manage stress.”

The commencement will take place on the commencement lawn by the lakes. There will be two, three-hour commencement ceremonies. 

The first one will begin at 9 a.m. for the School of Arts and Humanities, School of Business and Economics, and the School of Education. The second will begin at 3 p.m. for the School of Science and Technology and the School of Social Sciences.