“Shameless” returns with Season 9

exc-5ba1b228c2241bbf4bfe0684
exc-5ba1b228c2241bbf4bfe0684

From the first episode, it looks like the season will optimistically bring a more dysfunctional drama to the family than ever before. SHOWTIME’s American drama-comedy series, Shameless, is returning for it’s ninth season. This time, however, it adds fourteen new episodes to the season, with a mid-finale in Oct. and continues back up again in January.

After watching the premiere episode of the season on Sep. 9, “Are You There Shim? It’s Me, Ian,” this would be rated four out of five stars.

Each character comes back hard with an array of emotions, more so than any season has displayed before. Ian remains in jail from his arson outbreak and gay Jesus fiasco, with Fiona helping to bail him out. Debbie is still at work, fighting against discrimination in the workplace. Lip delves into a new romance while also protecting Eddie’s daughter, Xan, from sex-raging teenagers. Carl returns to boot camp with his wife there by his side for the remaining days to cheer him on. Kevin and Vee are training their daughters like dogs, playing fetch, to tire them out so the couple can go back to their sex life. Liam is the anti-Gallagher who wants to return all the silverware he stole. Then there’s Frank, who lines the show with comedy as he somehow turns any bad situation he is stuck in on other characters.

Shameless still brings in a high viewing to their premiering episode but with the help of having an On-Demand way to watch the show at our own convenience this brings the premiere date showing even higher. According to Variety Magazine, “’Shameless’ drew 1.3 million viewers in its initial airing, off approximately 30% from the Season 8 premiere. However, when adding in replays that aired Sunday night as well as streaming and On Demand viewership, the show’s haul grows to 2.2 million.”

Emmy Rossum, portrayed as Fiona Gallagher, made the decision to leave after nine years on Shameless. She announced on Facebook her departure from the TV show, explaining how her career path is arranged to turn in a different direction. She seems to be taking the movie route with two new movies coming out before the end of the year– “A Futile and Stupid Gesture” and “That’s Harassment”. She is currently working on a film called “Cold Pursuit” with Liam Neeson.

“The opportunity to play Fiona has been a gift.” Rossum stated. “There are few characters — female or otherwise — as layered and dynamic. She is a mother lion, fierce, flawed and sexually liberated. She is injured, vulnerable, but will never give up. She is living in an economic depression, but refuses to be depressed. She is resourceful. She is loyal. She is brave.” Fans are lucky to have a strong female lead in such an empowering show.

So, let’s enjoy Rossum’s character and enjoy what her character can bring to her final season. Season 8 left her off with a love interest, will a potential marriage be ahead for Fiona ultimately leading to her character moving to a new city? She looks like she is soon in the position where her family will not need her anymore and she will no longer need to provide for them.  

Keep in touch with season nine Sunday at 9 p.m. exclusively on SHOWTIME. SHOWTIME can be watched online or On Demand and now can be activated with a student Spotify account with no extra fees.