Hinton named Associated Students president

exc-570c3c603c44d852f482a87c
    exc-570c3c603c44d852f482a87c

With 51.2 percent of student votes, Sophomore Emily Hinton will be the new president of Associated Students at Sonoma State University in the 2016/17 school year.
    With every seat in Lobos occupied by emphatic Sonoma State students, current Associated Students President Brandon Mercer announced the results of this year’s student government elections on Wednesday. Special interest senators as well as executive officer positions were voted by students between April 4-6 by voting booth or electronic ballot.

Beating out current Executive Vice President of Associated Students Kate Chavez, Hinton voiced her excitement given to her by 23 percent of the student population voting in this year’s election, the highest voter turnout seen at Sonoma State University in six years.

“It feels unreal,” said Hinton. “I spent the last day of voting standing out in the sun passing out fliers for three to four hours and it feels like that last bit of hard work could have been what made it for me.”

Furthermore, Hinton expressed gratitude toward her fellow students for helping her obtain the position she has been campaigning for heavily throughout campus. The philosophy major is eager to begin work as head of Associated Students at the conclusion of this year.

“The president position is a 12 month position,” said Hinton when asked what she will be doing from now until August, when she officially becomes president. “The summer will give me an opportunity to work with administration as well as get an idea of the new president, Judy Sakaki’s goals and how they interact with Associated Students.”

Senior Ricky Albanese, vice president of finance-elect, and Junior Rachel McCloskey, executive vice president-elect, shared the exhilaration brought on by the fanfare that erupted when the announcement was made that they will be alongside Hinton in running the student government next year at Sonoma State University.

Albanese, the current treasurer of the rowing team, beat out Sophomore Francesca Galletti, winning by 57 percent of the vote. With arguably the loudest student reaction created by any winning candidate’s supporters during the whole event, Albanese explained how relieved he was knowing his place in AS next year is secure.

“The last couple of weeks have been arduous to say the least,” said Albanese. “I feel validated. During my campaign I felt it would be my platform and ideals that would resonate with students, and my victory has proven those feelings to be true.”

Winning by one of the largest margins in the election, McCloskey received 62 percent of the vote over competing candidate, sophomore Ana Tongilava. With all new executive officers for the upcoming school year, McCloskey understands the need for collaboration with her fellow electors.

“These next few weeks Emily, Ricky and I are going to be training and preparing for the amazing journey we are about to embark on.” said McCloskey.

With seven of the senate races in this year’s Associated Students election involving only one person, the traditional anticipation of victory was not always seen. Hollie Mudd, arts and humanities senator, Carlos Kimball, business and economics senator, and Valeria Quintana, social sciences senator, were all elected in fairly close fashion over their opponents.

“Next year’s Senate has so much potential and excitement,” said Mercer. “I think next year will be the most successful Senate ever at SSU because they come in knowing who they are as students and exactly what they want to achieve for their peers.”