Freaky Tales features Graves

exc-5bd911bb88251bdf7174713c
exc-5bd911bb88251bdf7174713c

To start off Halloween weekend, Tau Kappa Epsilon (TKE) organized their annual event Freaky Tales with artists Graves and Mike Woo.

Freaky Tales is a philanthropy event planned and orchestrated by the fraternity Tau Kappa Epsilon. The event was held on Saturday Oct. 27, in the Student Center ballrooms on campus featuring three-time grammy award winner and music producer DJ Graves and a local Bay Area hip-hop DJ Mike Woo.
     Given that this event is named Freaky Tales, it coincides with Halloween weekend by encouraging students and attendees to dress up in their costumes and get pumped for a good night with live artists.
     Graves, who’s real name is Christian Mochizuki, has a unique characteristic of his shows.  Mochizuki’s plays local music to really hype up the crowd, admitting that Bay Area and Chicago music are his favorites.
     He was stoked to perform at Freaky Tales not only for the Bay Area but because “it was all the homies throwing it.”

He started out as an engineer on Kanye West’s award winning album “My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy” and eventually moved to pursue his own music in the EDM scene.

Mochizuki was born in Hawaii on the island of Oahu. He still lives there in between his travelling for shows and says that he’ll never leave because of how much fun it is. Growing up, his biggest inspiration was Michael Jackson.
    He said that Jackson inspired him to do what he does now. “As a kid that was all I listened to.” Queen is also another classic and “timeless band” that he would listen to on repeat.

When asked about the EDM world, CMochizuki said that he was not sure where it was headed and he was just trying to mix it up with his music. “I don’t know, I get bored of shit really fast.” He has a new project dropping soon, “it’s different, I always like change,” he said.

Mochizuki said that his favorite night out as a DJ was at Lollapalooza when he came out and played with one of the headliners, Flosstradamus.
     Post Malone and Chance the Rapper also joined the DJs on stage, making it a memorable one for him. The best part about the EDM scene is “the kids that are stoked.”

The event supported Tau Kappa Epsilon’s philanthropy for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.

St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital supports and fights against childhood cancer providing treatment for child cancer patients, increasing survival rate by 60 percent.
     Not only do they compensate treatment, but they cover travel, housing and food costs in order to support the families of these children.
     Their research is shared worldwide, saving children across the globe with the help of individual financial supporters/donors and collaborators such as Tau Kappa Epsilon.

Everyone at Freaky Tales seemed very pleased with the show while dancing and creating a mosh put in the crowd.
     The first act, Mike Woo, was local and knew how to hype up all the students attending. Afterwards, Gaves had a great performance keeping the crowd elevated and cheering.

One of TKE’s coordinators of the event, Ed Avalos said, “The event went better than imagined. I am proud of my team for making this event run as smooth as possible. We wanted to create an experience and I believe we achieved that.”
     Acallos added, “Thanks to everyone who helped make this event possible and to those who supported our fraternity. We wanted to set the bar this year and I want every event to be better than the one before. I am excited for our next project, stay tuned!”