NASA grant allows departments to work together

Sonoma State University received more than $770,000 in July and $2.2 million in August. 

These grants have been distributed throughout the departments for different uses to benefit the students.

The Department of Science and Technology received $200,000 grant from NASA to send out a satellite into space to measure Earths ecosystems. 

“This would be our second small satellite project- the first- T – LogoQube- was successfully launched into Earth’s orbit in November 2013 and operated for a few months,” said Department Chair Lynn Cominsky. 

Cominsky said that this grant is being funded by NASA’s Undergraduate Student Instrumentstion Project program. In 2013 Sonoma State sent out their first CubeSat project into space, the LogoQube. The LogoQube was successful in measuring Earth’s magnetic fields. 

The EdgeCube program is going to include students from various departments. Students from the physics, engineering, computer science, geography and business majors will all be included in this project.

“We are fortunate to receive funding for projects that give students the chance to gain career experience,” said Jorge Bautista, junior physics and computer science major who has worked with Cominsky for some time. “I have worked with Cominsky personally for a while now, and know this project will be beneficial for all involved.”

This project allows students the hands-on opportunity they will need in their future career. The EdgeCube will be used to measure the earth’s ecosystems from space. 

Sonoma State University students are partnering with Santa Clara University students to make this project happen. 

“I feel that the project will truly be a learning tool for the physics department,” said junior physics and astronomy major Weston Henry. “It gets students hands on experience in college, where many people have to wait until they graduate to get such an opportunity.”