Sexual assault occurs during Weill Hall performance

exc-57f56efcebbd1a3a814db8e3
    exc-57f56efcebbd1a3a814db8e3

Sonoma State University police reported a woman was sexually assaulted on Saturday, during the Chris Young concert at the Green Music Center. Police say the attack occurred around 9 p.m. on the Weill Lawn outside the center. The unidentified woman did not know her assailant, police say. The assault on Saturday night was the first sexual assault to be reported on campus since the semester began in August.

According to the Green Music Center, the largest audience of their summer season gathered in Weill Hall and the surrounding lawn on Saturday. The concert began at 7:30 p.m., and according to posts on the Green Music Center’s and Young’s Twitter accounts, the show ended just after 9:30. It was during Young’s performance that the assault took place.

police-services_24714902256_o.jpg

By law, Sonoma State University police are required to notify students and faculty of all reported sexual assault cases. The email notification was sent approximately four hours after the attack occurred. The email specified that the victim did not know the attacker. Police declined to give any additional information

“The matter is currently under investigation and, as such, I ask that you refer to the information contained within the Timely Warning notice, as that is what I am able to share,” said acting Chief of Police David B. Dougherty.

Police describe the suspect as a white adult male, early 20s, 6 feet tall, brown hair, with a thin athletic physical build.

Students are urged to call campus police if they have any information related to the ongoing investigation. Students are encouraged to report any suspicious activities on campus to campus police by calling (707) 664-4444.