School of Business and Economics welcomes two faculty members

Sonoma State University is in the midst of a great transformation. At the start of the fall semester, Sonoma State welcomed new president, Judy K. Sakaki, as well as new faculty and staff. Sakaki has plans to bring many new changes to the university, including the addition of new faculty. Sakaki has already brought on 18 new tenure faculty, as well as six visiting faculty members to Sonoma State this fall.

Of those, the School of Business and Economics at Sonoma State welcomed two new tenured faculty to its team this fall. Ramya Ghosh, an international finance expert, joins the Sonoma State team from Drexel University Sacramento, the University of California, Irvine and California State Polytechnic University, Pomona. Ghosh said he is excited to bring his expertise to the Sonoma State School of Business and Economics and looks forward to making a positive contribution towards the development and growth of Sonoma State students. Ghosh said he hopes to bring new business and economics courses to Sonoma State.

“I will attempt to make economics interesting, easier to understand and relevant for our students,” said Ghosh “I believe that the wonderful ideas of economics can indeed explain every aspect of the world around us.”

Ghosh’s background includes working for international organizations such as the International Monetary Fund, which ensures the stability of the international monetary system, and the World Bank. He said that these opportunities gave him a great perspective on their operations and policies. Growing up in India, he said he learned a great deal about the country’s economic transformations. He hopes to share his experiences with his students to give them a broader perspective and better understanding of international finance.

Joining Ghosh is entrepreneurship and innovation expert Sergio Canavati. Canavati comes to Sonoma State from the University of Missouri, Kansas City and California State University, Los Angeles.

“I am looking to increase opportunities for collaboration across campus as well as with regional business and civic organizations,” said Canavati. “Collaboration with other educational institutions in the North Bay is also important.” 

Canavati hopes that he can bring his experience teaching entrepreneurship, management and economics to benefit Sonoma State students. Canavati’s experience with entrepreneurship will be essential to growing the entrepreneurship programs at Sonoma State. Canavati said he is particularly thankful for how he has been welcomed by the Sonoma State faculty and students.

“The way Sonoma State students have welcomed me and been patient with me as I adjusted to a new teaching environment has been beyond my expectations.” said Canavati.

The school of business and economics works closely with their mentorship program, the SBE program. Both Ghosh and Canavati have expressed interest in growing the School of Business and Economics Mentor Program to help students reach their career goals.

“The goal of the School of Business and Economics has been to provide students with the training and resources needed to succeed in creating new organization that they are passionate about,” said Canavati.