More housing opportunities in Cotati

For many Sonoma State University students, finding affordable housing within a reasonable distance of the university can be a challenge. A new housing development now under construction in Cotati may help alleviate the lack of sufficient housing for students.

The groundbreaking for the construction took place this summer and the first houses could go on sale as soon as this month.

Village Walk will include 46 single-family units and townhomes in a walkable location, close to downtown, the SMART train station and the Oliver’s shopping center, according to Synergy Communities by Christopherson. The three- and four-bedroom homes range from 1,300 to 1,890 square feet in size and will cost between the mid $400,000s to the low $600,000s.

The neighborhood in which the development is located, is only a few minutes from Sonoma State, includes multiple apartment complexes, some of which are specifically marketed as student housing.

“The city is excited to see this project come to fruition and continue our partnership with the private sector to bring more desperately needed housing to Sonoma County, as well as develop our community for the benefit of all Cotati residents,” said Cotati Mayor John Moore.

Though this development is not specifically for students, housing is in short supply for all residents of Rohnert Park, Cotati and the surrounding areas, which Moore cited as the reason for the new development. The new development seeks to create more housing in the community for students and other residents.

“We are looking forward to bringing these new homes to market. Our county’s families need access to quality-built, affordable housing and that’s exactly what we’re providing,” said Managing Member of Synergy Communities Keith Christopherson. “We have had a wonderful experience working on this project with the city. They have been great partners every step of the way, helping make this project a reality. We hope to continue our partnership with the city to bring other developments to Cotati.”

Units in the Village Walk will be on sale soon for prospective buyers.

“The Village Walk is for sale housing, so it would be 46 new units, some of which could ultimately be rented to students,” said City Manager of Cotati Damien O’Bid. “This housing is at the corner of East Cotati Avenue and Lancaster Avenue, is currently under construction, and I understand that the first units will be going on sale as soon as next week.”

According to O’Bid, construction is likely to start next year on other housing for rent.

Between this housing development and the residences under construction in the University District across the street from campus, there will soon be more housing available close to Sonoma State, which potentially means that students could have an easier time finding available housing.