Ariana Grande Deserves Billboards Woman of the Year Award

exc-5bedb3e82b6a2836074590e0
exc-5bedb3e82b6a2836074590e0

November was another great month for superstar artist Ariana Grande. She was named Billboard’s 2018 Woman of the Year, another amazing feat that Grande can add to her list of accomplishments and awards. In 2018 alone she has received and been nominated for various awards, this one being one of her most prestigious.

In August 2018 Grande released her fourth studio album titled “Sweetener.” The fifteen track album debuted at the top of Billboard’s Top 200 in its first week, making it the third album she’s released to do so. The album as a whole produced three top thirty hits on “Billboard’s Hot 100.” “No Tears Left to Cry” rose to number three, “God is a Woman” climbed to number eight on the list and “Breathin” peaked at twenty-two.

Ross Scarano, ‘Billboard’s’ vice president of content, commented on Grande’s success and why she was awarded this honor in an article written by ‘Billboard.’ “Ariana Grande is a star on her own terms, never bending to any particular musical trend or path in the industry,” said Scarano. “She’s got guts, she’s making some of the best music of her career, and she’s absolutely deserving of Woman of the Year.”

Aside from her popular music, Grande takes advantage of her position to support causes that she believes in. Earlier this year she took part in the powerful “March for Our Lives” movement advocating for gun control laws. Grande also uses her social media accounts, such as Instagram and Twitter with a combined 192 million followers, to spread awareness for and support topics such as gender equality, LGBTQ Rights, mental health awareness and the black lives matter movement.

After the devastating bombing at Manchester Arena outside one of her concerts in May of 2017, Grande helped to organize the “One Love Manchester” benefit concert that helped to raise more than $23 million to aid the families and victims that were affected.

Despite all these amazing feats, Grande’s career hasn’t come without struggle and heartbreak. The two most recent and most impactful scandals the superstar has been a part of include her relationship with the late and beloved Mac Miller and her whirlwind romance turned engagement with Pete Davidson. Despite these two scandals, Grande has stood strong and been resilient throughout. The superstar dropped a new single, “Thank U, Next” in early November that not only pays tribute to Miller’s death but also is a symbol of her strength and independence as a woman after ending her engagement with Davidson. In the song, she also thanks her past lovers for their impact on her life.

Grande will receive this award on December 6th at the 13th Annual Women in Music dinner and awards Gala in New York and will join the likes of Selena Gomez, Lady Gaga, Madonna and Taylor Swift.

When all is said and done this award was given to her for all that she’s done so far, but after she receives it many will be looking to see what she does from that point on. If she will use this as a stepping stone to continue to help those in need, or if she is just going to keep writing music and pleasing the public. Anyone who has followed her since the beginning has seen how Grande reacts to heartbreak and tragedy. She will rise up to whatever challenge faces her and will continue to not only create powerful music but also to help and advocate for the pressing issues of our time.